Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Fender Super Twin.

Yep, It's funny how we have nil problem on spending a few hundred of the hard earned on a new guitar or a new set of wheels or a few bottles of our favourite plonk, but diverting a fifty to some useful test equipment is 'a big decision'.... I know that problem well, and have the T-shirt...

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Yep, It's funny how we have nil problem on spending a few hundred of the hard earned on a new guitar or a new set of wheels or a few bottles of our favourite plonk, but diverting a fifty to some useful test equipment is 'a big decision'.... I know that problem well, and have the T-shirt...

Yep, since I'm a pensioner my fortnightly budget tends to be pretty tight too, so I can only buy things when I can afford them, fortunately my big purchases for this year have mostly been done, I've got some big purchases to make next year too, need to buy a replacement TV cause my 42 inch LG Plasma Screen TV no longer powers up, and my LG Blue Ray DVD player appears to be malfunctioning too, had to buy a replacement remote for it only to find that it doesn't seem to be responding to the remote, it also occasionally displays an error message too.

When I got offered the Fender Super Twin amp for $300.00, I thought that the offer was too good to refuse, since to buy one on eBay or somewhere else would cost me way more money, so naturally I couldn't pass it up.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 03-11-2017 at 10:19 AM.

I did a search on Ebay and only one USA version (110VAC) is listed for five times what you paid. Everything else listed is just parts... Damn expensive parts!!

From my cloudy memory (the joys of age I suppose) most of the amps I worked on were Fender twin combo's and a handful or so of VOX amps. Even though back then I was a authorised Marshall agent in a workshop above a Brisbane Marshall store (walking distance to the Roxy in the Valley) I had very few Marshall's cross my bench, so I'm guessing the 'other tech' in Paddington got most of the Marshall work as he could hot-rod them whereas as and agent I wasn't permitted. The other guy was the Fender agent so I got to hot-rod all the Fender amps...

I'm gathering you are still mid way through the twins 'repair'...?

I did a search on Ebay and only one USA version (110VAC) is listed for five times what you paid. Everything else listed is just parts... Damn expensive parts!!

From my cloudy memory (the joys of age I suppose) most of the amps I worked on were Fender twin combo's and a handful or so of VOX amps. Even though back then I was a authorised Marshall agent in a workshop above a Brisbane Marshall store (walking distance to the Roxy in the Valley) I had very few Marshall's cross my bench, so I'm guessing the 'other tech' in Paddington got most of the Marshall work as he could hot-rod them whereas as and agent I wasn't permitted. The other guy was the Fender agent so I got to hot-rod all the Fender amps...

I'm gathering you are still mid way through the twins 'repair'...?

Actually no, I haven't even started working on it, still in the "planning" stage, I did make some progress on the 4X10 speaker cab though, I was doing some browsing through Evatco's stock of Jensen speakers a few days ago and came across a likely candidate for a Jensen speaker to put in the new cab, it's this model:

https://www.evatco.com.au/jbb10-100

I figure that four of them wired in series-parallel like a Marshall cab should effectively give me an 8 Ohm 4X10 cab that's rated at 400 Watts if my calculations are correct, the only kicker is the price of the speakers at about $339.00 each....(yikes!), I really want to go with a set of four Jensens cause I think the amp deserves them, although I could go with Eminences or EVs.

You suffer from the same syndrome as me...always want the most expensive one.... lol

There are plenty of other Jensen's at Evacto for a lower price, and a lower wattage. I suppose it depends on how much you desire that 400W capability.

Are you building a sealed or open back cab for your 4x10's?

My 2x12 cab has a V30 at 65W and a G12H75 at 75W with both 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel to give me a 8 ohm cabinet that can handle better than 100W which is all I figure I'll ever need. Two 16's in parallel is brighter than two 8's or 4's in series, plus there is a redundancy aspect of a parallel cab and I like the sound of the Celestions so that's my reasoning for going that way.

You suffer from the same syndrome as me...always want the most expensive one.... lol

There are plenty of other Jensen's at Evacto for a lower price, and a lower wattage. I suppose it depends on how much you desire that 400W capability.

Are you building a sealed or open back cab for your 4x10's?

My 2x12 cab has a V30 at 65W and a G12H75 at 75W with both 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel to give me a 8 ohm cabinet that can handle better than 100W which is all I figure I'll ever need. Two 16's in parallel is brighter than two 8's or 4's in series, plus there is a redundancy aspect of a parallel cab and I like the sound of the Celestions so that's my reasoning for going that way.

Yep, I want to build a sealed-back 4X10 speaker cab for the Super Twin.

Update:

Was doing some internet browsing and found this web page, the Fender Super Twin amp you see in the pic is same like the one I have, so if it makes a great bass amp then I'm keeping it for sure, it was a keeper for me anyway though:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/fen...s-head.452093/

Very nice...

I have a feeling in my gut that says your Eminance loaded 4x10's won't sound the same as the dude's JBL loaded 2x15's.... just sayin...

I prefer 10s for bass as they are usually tighter than 15s or 18s and don't flub as much.

Having said that we are different and seek our own sound, so what ever rows your boat.

Given that decent speakers cost a bomb I be trying to scam the use of a few alternative speaker combinations before draining the piggy bank

Are the valves readily available?

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast