Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott's GED-enBacker RC-4 Build

I really like the idea of the MM Pickups, I was actually thinking along those exact lines while checking out the "Forum Special".

Two is Plenty though.... especially if they are Seymour Duncans.....

I'm going to enjoy watching this Build.

Down the track I'm thinking of doing a MM bridge pup with a Rick neck pup to try to get the best of both tones...

It's funny...it's almost like people are "afraid" of the third pickup. I just like the idea...three massive MM bass pickups, like a row of black monoliths...a bass like that should be heavier than a Peavey T-40 and instantly put a permanent dent in our shoulder while it rattles the fillings out of your teeth I was also thinking about coil tapping...it just seems to me it would be possible to tap the entire tonal range for a beast like that...

Haha, Three Bloody Great Humbuckers all wired up together in Series...... That'll rock the Place.....

Might as well add a Pre-Amp while you're at it......

Lets not Mess about here

You can never have too many clamps...SERIOUSLY...you can never have too many clamps!

So today was glue the maple top to the freshly planed and contoured body day...I'd set the neck and let it be overnight, so the first thing I had to do was cut out the shape and the pocket for the neck.I figured out where my center line was through the center of the neck so I could properly align the seam on the maple cap and drew an outline of the body with a pencil and cut that out. Then, using the center line as a guide, I calculated the cut-out needed to fit around the bottom of the neck. I cut it a shade small and the sanded by hand to get the fit I wanted:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop_top_small.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	18051

Note to self...when cutting the body shape out of the $120.00 piece of maple, take your time and give yourself plenty to work with.

I test-fitted it about 100 times and took my time sanding, which was good because it turned out that I didn't give myself much margin for error (in other words, hardly more than none) as I should have when I cut out the cap and I ended up just BARELY covering the whole body. Dumb, rookie mistake, but I got lucky and was able to make slight adjustments to the cut out for the neck to make it work...by a hair or two.

So, to do the forearm contour bend, I tried the kerf-cut trick I found on YouTube. My cuts aren't as nice as the ones that guy did (I'm a router newbie)...

Name:	kerf_cut_small.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	18052

...but it did work (and no one will ever see my squiggle-cuts anyway...next time I'll use a guide) This is actually a pretty slick way to do it, barely even requiring router skills...mucho pleased.

And then the moment of truth...glue time:

Name:	glue_time_small.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	18053

Now...I'm sure everyone knows this, but when you do this, there's no such thing as too many clamps. I had ten clamps and a half-dozen 2-inch spring clams (pretty worthless, but I left them on for comic effect), and I wish I'd had about four more clamps. Everything looks pretty tight, but I'm expecting a gap or two because after planing and sanding the body, I don't think it ended up 100% flat (as close as I could get...I mean...I checked with a straight edge and it looked good to me):

Name:	never_enough_clamps_1_small.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	18054

Name:	never_enough_clamps_2_small.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	18055

Yup...that's a pretty redneck clamp-up job (note the OSB), but I think it just might work...or explode in a cloud of maple splinters when I relieve the pressure. Either way will be pretty exciting when I take off the clamps tomorrow

Love your work geddyfan! Boldly going where no builder has gone before!!
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compaņeros

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Love your work geddyfan! Boldly going where no builder has gone before!!
    You can't fear the wood...fear is the bass-killer

Fingers crossed for glueing success and may the god of insufficient clamps smile upon you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobastard View Post
    Haha, Three Bloody Great Humbuckers all wired up together in Series...... That'll rock the Place.....

Might as well add a Pre-Amp while you're at it......

Lets not Mess about here
    "Hmmm..." he says, contemplatively. "A pre-amp..."

In the immortal words of Tim Allen: "More power!" (Grunts in power-tool fueled ecstasy)

10. Liked by: Hobastard

Don't be afraid...they're only pickups...

With much excitement, I took off the clamps today...and nobody died

Overall, I'm pleased...there's one spot with a thin gap due to my rookie power planing job, but I'm sure that a little glue and sawdust will fix that right up:

Name:	dont_be_afraid_1_small.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	18091

I used a router to clean up the edges and of course had a slight disaster over the hole for the cord jack...for which I feel double-stupid because I knew it was going to be tricky, so I started there and had it perfect, and then coming around from the other side I forgot it was there and messed it up ANYWAY. Very slight though, and ten minutes with the sander fixed it.

Name:	dont_be_afraid_2_small.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	18092

I took the time to pull out a set of mm-style pickups just to see what it might look like...yeah, it's a bit scary, but that's why it's going to be awesome! I'm doing all black hardware over red quilted maple (debating doing a burst...the back will be black), but that bridge looks absolutely anemic next to those pickups...that WILL NOT DO! The bridge I have is too shallow anyway by about 1/8" so I'm thinking about one of those black Hipshot Ric replacement bridges. Need something beefier to be sure...originally I was going to do a BadAss III, but...I don't know...gotta find something MASSIVE. My first real bass was a Peavey T-45...now THAT was a massive bass bridge.

Of course, since the neck is in the way, I couldn't use the router for all the cleanup...I've got some hand work to do...files and sandpaper.

Name:	neck_cut_detail_1_small.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	18093 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neck_cut_detail_2_small.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	18094

I need to hand work the edge of the arm contour, too. That's alright...I'm planning to take about a week to do nothing but sand until everything is dead-on perfect before doing the routs for the pickups (yes...THREE...three BIG ones).

I want to round off the edges, but I don't know if I want to take the router to it again, so I'm thinking of doing it by hand so it will be perfect...but that's a lot of work to take out the same amount of wood as a 1/4" inch round-over bit...hmmm...

Ordered black upgrades for the tuners...and got the wrong size...argh...oh well, it's going to be a long time before I actually need them...and I need to get a different bridge anyway...oh well, that's what RMA is for...black strings...I'm thinking black strings, too...

Anyone here ever stain a rosewood RC-4 kit fret board black before? And lacquer...clear lacquer on the fret board like a real Ric...just thinking out loud.

Looking at the figuring on this wood the more I clean it up, the better it looks...gonna be insane

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast