Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Just fixed my Ibanez TS-808 pedal.

Some readers of this thread may be wondering why there's a capacitor going from the 1M resistor to circuit ground, there's a good reason for it being there which I'll explain, when you close the contacts of the mechanical footswitch, it doesn't just close it makes and breaks contact a few times before it finally closes, this behavior is called "Contact Bounce" in Electronics, it's not so much of a bad in Analog electronic circuitry, but in Digital circuitry it can cause havoc with the normal operation of a Digital circuit, the circuit that alternately turns the two 2SK30A Fets on and off in the TS-808 circuit is a Digital circuit called a Flip-Flop, you will notice that there are also two 1000pF caps connected to the junction of the 1M resistor and the cap going to circuit ground, these two 1000pF caps form the input of the Flip-Flop circuit, the cap going to ground is there to prevent false-triggering of the Flip-Flop circuit by the Contact-Bounce of the mechanical footswitch, if it was removed entirely, the Flip-Flop circuit would be triggered erratically this is because the Flip-Flop circuit interprets the noise-spikes generated by the Contact Bounce as a trigger signal because Digital circuits operate at fast speeds, putting the cap in it's place filters out the noise-spikes and gives the Flip-Flop circuit a clean trigger-signal.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 27-03-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Just tested the pedal out a few minutes ago and it is still footswitching properly.....cool.

Good news, Doc.

I've got a couple of Pearl footpedals from 1983 that have stopped working. I decided to collect the whole set of them, so eventually tracked them all down on eBay. But they also did three double sized pedals (actually nearer 3x) in this short lived series that worked on 18v not 9v. They offer two versions of the same effect but normally with some extra features. For example, the Phaser has two speeds, and when you change speeds, it actually takes time to speed up or slow down, rather like a Leslie. Unfortunately my 18v adapter went missing and I didn't get to try them out until recently and two of them don't work at all. A shame, as they are nice pedals but being dual function, the circuit boards are crammed full of components so it's not easy to identify anything, even the circuit path.

Just looked the Pearl PH44 phaser up on line and they seem to be going for a lot of money now. I think I bought mine for £90/A$145 and I have seen some being sold for £400/$640!

The two non-working ones are the CE-22 chorus (an expanded Boss CE-1 format), and the AD-33 analogue delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Good news, Doc.

I've got a couple of Pearl footpedals from 1983 that have stopped working. I decided to collect the whole set of them, so eventually tracked them all down on eBay. But they also did three double sized pedals (actually nearer 3x) in this short lived series that worked on 18v not 9v. They offer two versions of the same effect but normally with some extra features. For example, the Phaser has two speeds, and when you change speeds, it actually takes time to speed up or slow down, rather like a Leslie. Unfortunately my 18v adapter went missing and I didn't get to try them out until recently and two of them don't work at all. A shame, as they are nice pedals but being dual function, the circuit boards are crammed full of components so it's not easy to identify anything, even the circuit path.

If you've got a Digital Multimeter, try plugging in a guitar lead into the input with the bottom cover removed, and then check to see if the circuit board is getting any power, that's the first thing I'd do with those non-functional pedals, if no power is getting to the circuit boards, try checking if you're getting power on the solder lugs of the power socket, if you are, then it'll most likely be a break in the power wires going to the circuit boards, hope that helps.

Let me know how you go with them.

Just looked the Pearl PH44 phaser up on line and they seem to be going for a lot of money now. I think I bought mine for £90/A$145 and I have seen some being sold for £400/$640!

The two non-working ones are the CE-22 chorus (an expanded Boss CE-1 format), and the AD-33 analogue delay.

I reckon that the CE-22 pedal, and the AD-33 are worth fixing, if you're lucky it may only be one minor component that's causing them to not work, I'm wondering if the AD-33 uses Bucket Brigade ICs, if so, and if any of them are faulty, it may be hard to find replacements, and a bit expensive if you can find them, some 70's era Analog Delay and Phaser/Flanger pedals used Bucket Brigade ICs, like the SAD1024 (Electro Harmonix Memory Man and Electric Mistress),the SAD1024 is getting harder to find, and very expensive too, heard some stories of people unknowingly buying fake/counterfeit ones on eBay.

I've done that bit, but everything was OK. On one I did find a bent over component that was shorting out on another track. Straightening that got the effect on/off light working but still no sound. Just can't find any schematics for these on-line, which would help considerably.

I've done that bit, but everything was OK. On one I did find a bent over component that was shorting out on another track. Straightening that got the effect on/off light working but still no sound. Just can't find any schematics for these on-line, which would help considerably.

If both pedals use electronic footswitching like the TS-808, see if you get sound when the pedals are bypassed.

I will. It was over a year ago that I last looked at them, and can't remember any more than the above and whether I got anything at all in bypass.

There are schematics sites that may help, I have it bookmarked on my PC which is now off I'll post the links up in the morning.

May have already seen the site but will post anyway

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast