Thread: Complete Beginner

Lightbulb Complete Beginner

I am a total newbie to the world of building guitars. Been playing for years but never put one together, so my question is, where do I start? What is the best kind of kit for someone completely fresh and requires minimal soldering? What are some tips for the basic tools, glues, glosses, finishes and stains, etc. Is it easier to start with a bass or a guitar or is there no difference?

Also, are there any tips or tricks you guys could pass on that you wish someone told you the first time you built a guitar?

Thanks guys

Hi ScooterDee and welcome.

The first thing to realise about building a kit guitar is that it is going to need some work doing to all aspects of it. It's not a collection of parts that you simply screw or glue together and you have a finished guitar. You do need to have some experience in soldering, some woodworking skills, some knowledge of how to set up a guitar. You will probably need to invest in some tools to help you do the job, so it's not necessarily the cheapest way to get a guitar. But it is fun and very satisfying when you've finished.

But most of all you need some common sense and the ability to think a problem through and not panic if something untoward happens. If you do go for a PitBull kit, then start a build diary here, as you can ask questions and get advice as you go along.

I'd start with a bolt-on neck guitar. A Tele is always a good starter guitar to build, but the Strat kit comes with a loaded and pre-wired scratchplate, so has far less soldering to do. On both types, you are going to need to shape the headstock, so you will need some woodworking tools to do so.

As for advice, there's a lot already here on the forums. Look at peoples build diaries for the type of kit(s) you are looking at. There are various how to.. sections of the forum as well.

As for finishes, there are a whole range of different options. If you want a solid colour body, then go basswood body and probably spray paints. But if you want a natural or translucent finish, then go for a guitar kit with a either a veneer top or constructed of a nice grained wood such as ash. Basswood can show some grain, but it it generally on the plain side. You then have the option of different stains and wax finishes (including DingoTone if you are in Aus), tru-oil, wiped poly, sprayed poly, acrylic or nitro finishes.

Welcome along - best kit to start with would be a Tele / Strat or a P Bass (depending on which tickles your fancy). All are fairly straightforward with only minor electrical work to be done. That said, there is still anywhere up to ~ 40+ hours of work to go into a good guitar to get it just right. If you're comfortable with a soldering iron, most kits would be fine for a first build, though I would steer clear of hollowbodies and set necks for a first build as there are one or two additional things to be thought through.

Tips to start with -
    Take your time - you can finish a guitar in a couple of days, but to do it well takes time.

Don't rush - sounds like the above, but if you feel that you just need to do X quickly before you need to pack away, then pack away. X will be there tomorrow - rushing encourages mistakes that can take heaps longer to resolve.

Ask questions - make a build diary and if there is something you're not sure about, ask. Plenty of people here and we've all had our first at some point.

Take photos - its easier to help if there are some good photos of what you're talking about.

Finally - first thing is do a dry build - before sanding, etc - to make sure you have everything and there are no major issues with the kit. Ads and crew do their best to QA things, but the odd issue does slip through infrequently. Better if they are nipped in the bud.

Yep what Brendan said. Personally I would recommend a Tele or J-Bass to start, or for absolutely minimal soldering an ST. But I would choose a TL over an ST any day of the week .

cheers,
    Gav.
    --
    Build #01: BC-1
    Build #02: ST-1
    Build #03: JR-1DC
    Build #04: ES-2V
    Build #05: ESB-4 (GOTM July 2014)
    Build #06: RC-1
    Build #07: MK-2
    Build #08: TLA-1
    Build #09: JR-1DC
    Build #0A: LPA-1
    Build #0B: STA-1 (GOTM April 2015)
    Build #0C: MKA-2
    Build #0D: LP-1M
    Build #0E: JB-1
    Build #0F: FS-1

Find me:
    https://www.facebook.com/firescreek.guitars/
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.blogspot.com.au/

Tele's are a great first build. I wish i started with a tele.
    first tip....buy a tele.
    second tip, read other guys build diary's for teles
    Third tip, start a build thread and ask as many questions as you want.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Hey ScooterDee welcome to the forums.

I would go along with just about all of the above. We were all where you are right now and though it might seem daunting you can do it.

If I can do it then anyone can. I started with no skills very few tools and although nothing much has changed on both those fronts I continue to have fun and stumble though the builds.

I would agree that a Tele/Strat would be the way to go.

Do a mock build once the kit arrives, to make sure everything fits and you get an idea where everything goes.

Start a build diary and post progress pictures and ask questions along the way.

Take your time.

Most importantly, enjoy yourself.

And the last bit of advice.......... start thinking about your second build. Oh yes my friend, there will be a second build. You can count on it.

rob

You can practice soldering at any time. Look for a multicore solder that contains flux, and preferably a lead/tin mixture solder. Manufacturers now have to use lead-free solder, which melts at a higher temperature (and so is tougher on components), but hobbyists can still use the leaded type. The time you require the most amount of heat is when soldering wired on to the back of potentiometers. Ideally you'd buy a temperature controlled soldering iron of about 40-50W that has interchangeable tips. Larger tips for soldering to the back of potentiometers, smaller tips for soldering wires to component lugs. A solder-sucker is a very useful tool to have, as are a decent pair of small side-cutters and needle-nosed pliers.

Welcome ScooterDee
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck