Thread: Final coats - mix neck and normal finish ?

Final coats - mix neck and normal finish ?

Query for Dingobase.
    I just started to put the finishing coats onto my build, and realised that I used the neck finish on my spalted cap. I am not too worried as I have read in one of your posts that the neck finish can be used on a body and that it is just a harder finish. So I'm thinking, ok just use the neck finish on the cap. If its harder -it might be more protection anyway ?. However I do not have much of the neck finish left and so I am wondering if I could put the regular body finish coat over this neck finish if I needed. I will probably be able to squeeze another two thin coats onto the cap - which might well be enough to make this query redundant. However if I do run out - is there likely to be an issue if I mix finish layers ?

Hi DJP I'm sure there will be no issue mixing neck and body coats. You are correct what you assumed. Look forward to seeing pics of your build
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Thanks -I figured this would be the case - but best to check. Very pleased with Dingotone finish so far - seems to be going on somewhat better than the build I did this time last year. However - I'm probably doing thinner coats this time. The neck finish seems heaps better on this build than my previous attempt (where I ended up sanding the Dingotone finish on the neck back somewhat and applying spray on poly ... which actually gave me the smoothest silky finish !).
    Last edited by DJP; 08-02-2017 at 12:46 PM.