Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Rossc0's 1st Build - LP1-SS

Rossc0's 1st Build - LP1-SS

Afternoon everyone, Haven't actually received the kit yet, sticking this here as a placeholder. I went into this adventure with the expectation that it would be a cheap way of getting a half decent guitar. Well that has gone out the window. Think I'm at 700 bucks or so and I've yet to decide on what pickups I want. Decided that I may only do this once so may as well go the whole hog and at least try and do it right.

Also trying to decide on an amplification route, my current thinking is either, a Marshall DSL15, VOX AC15 or a bit more digital Blackstar ID:15TVP. So if any one has experience of these love to hear about it.

So you can look forward to lots of questions and a seemingly never ending build. I might first up post my plan of attack, in case there are any glaring errors that are setting me off on the wrong foot.

Cheers

sounds good Rossco. I would read the amp reviews online and pick the one that will suit your style/sound. A digital amp will have a better range of sounds generally.
    Sounds like you have some nice hardware upgrades planned.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

The Marshall and the Vox are both amps that you should be able to do small gigs with.

The Vox on its own will have the better clean and 'just breaking up' sounds, so on it's own its great for '50s/'60s pop and rock 'n' roll, country, blues and jazz. But it will also take pedals well.

The Marshall does the Marshall sound very well, so if more distortion's your thing, then I'd go for that. It will do clean but a less inspiring clean than the Vox.

The ID is a good practice amp and a good all in one solution for bedroom playing, but it's not an amp I'd like to do band rehearsals or gig with. You'll be able to get a wide range of sounds from it, plus it's got the built-in effects, so you don't need any extra pedals to get most sounds.

Ideally you'd go somewhere and try them out. Reading specs and looking at videos gives you some idea of what to expect, but until you actually go and plug in and hear what it sounds like, you never know how well you will interact with it. I've tried a couple of different (and more expensive) models from my main amp's manufacturer (Two Rock), but didn't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossc0 View Post
    I went into this adventure with the expectation that it would be a cheap way of getting a half decent guitar. Well that has gone out the window. Think I'm at 700 bucks or so and I've yet to decide on what pickups I want.
    What are you planning as far as the upgrades? Sounds like you're looking at some decent quality stuff.

thanks guys. I will probably wait till I have the guitar in one piece and go try the amps, my local music store has them all in stock.

As for upgrades, not that much really, with it being the first kit I got all the additional bits and pieces, shielding, glue sandpaper, DT, basically just everything DB recommends on the site, saves me going looking later, so by the time you do that your well over 300 with the LP1-SS kit. I also did chicken out and got DB do the neck and head stock shaping for me as I'm very "tool lite" currently. The big expense was the Babicz hardware which was a bit oF an impulse buy, ( i need to stop doing that). Still deciding on pickups.

On a positive note, the kit is in the mail. Woohoo.

cool plans, hope to see it up soon

From reading the various thread, come up with this as my basic project plan, there are a couple of questions embedded in there. If I'm doing anything stupid please shout out.

Mock build, ensure everything is good to go. Check neck scale measurements.
    Wet wipe veneer to hunt for glue spots (deal with them somehow)
    Lightly sand veneer with 320/400, or just some 0000 wire wool?
    Sand back and neck up to 320
    Mask up neck and front
    Grain fill back and neck with Timbermate Mahogany.
    Clean binding
    Sand up to 400 / 600, should I go higher on the neck?
    DT front, let dry
    Solder pots, ready for later install
    Intensify front, let dry
    Finishing coat let dry
    Wax and polish front and head stock
    Fit decals, add couple of coats of clear, let dry.
    Mask off front and head stock
    Tru-oil back and neck, many times.
    Buff.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    Fit copper shielding
    Fit hardware, ensure earth lead to bridge in place.
    Fit Electronics, ensure earths from bridge an shielding included
    Fit Neck
    Set up intonation.
    Good to go.
    Enter Guitar of the month :-)

Well its arrived, resisting the temptation to try and do anything right away will wait till the weekend when I have some time. At first glance, looks good, no obvious glue marks or other issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	body.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	301.7 KB 
ID:	17296
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kit.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	300.4 KB 
ID:	17297

Quote Originally Posted by Rossc0 View Post
    thanks guys. I will probably wait till I have the guitar in one piece and go try the amps, my local music store has them all in stock.

Rossc0, if you have time, try out the Roland Blues Cube, either Artist or Stage version. for a solid state amp it gives tubes a run for their money. of course its all subjective, whatever suits you but I went and tried a bunch of tubes over Xmas and came back with one.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Nice Grain! I love the stripe down the middle! This one looks like it should be another pearler!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast