Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: FrankenWashie's Fourth, The TLA-TH

I just took it to mean that the 12” radius board was sanded down again with a 12” radius block so that that the join was 100% flush as I expect there would have been a slight ridge at the join. Also the finish would have been disrupted by the crack so that needed removing and replacing, and you might as well do the majority of the neck again to ensure a good match.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I just took it to mean that the 12” radius board was sanded down again with a 12” radius block so that that the join was 100% flush as I expect there would have been a slight ridge at the join. Also the finish would have been disrupted by the crack so that needed removing and replacing, and you might as well do the majority of the neck again to ensure a good match.
    Spot on Mr B. With the initial build, for some reason I don't now recall, I had not coated the face of the board, so it needed a quick go over anyway. As you say the join was as close as I could get it, but there was an offset that needed to be dressed out.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Ah yes, it probably was, before the little whoopsie with the inserts. The subsequent repair left it a little out of sorts at the heel end, hence having to get that end of the board back to 12" Rad. TBH I don't remember having to go further up the board than about 12th fret to fix things up.
    Ahhhhhh... I had to back a bit further back to see the extent of the damage. Now I get it!

Good recovery.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16