Thread: Old UK music magazine refrence web site.

Old UK music magazine refrence web site.

If you are interested in looking back at reviews of keyboards and hi-tech recording equipment from the '80s and early '90s, then the link below is a good resource site for a lot of the UK review magazines of that time. It's an on-going project, and is reliant on people supplying old hard copies of the magazines or else OCR scanning then and sending that info in. But there's already quite a collection.

It was started by a regular Sound on Sound forum member, as the SoS on-line archives only go back to 1993, but has expanded to cover most of the hi-tech equipment mags of that time.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/

cool link, thanks Simon

Cheers Simon, I checked out the link you posted and I've got it bookmarked now, lots of interesting info.

Really interesting - thanks Simon
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compaņeros

Nice, I suspect that's a rabbit hole that will consume a bit of time

Just an update as Desmond and his team have now got permission to scan and include quite a few more magazine titles, including International Musician (and recording world), which was my regular purchase in the late '70s and a lot of the '80s. Despite the title, it mainly covered guitars and amps, with some keyboards and drums. They haven't actually scanned any of those in yet, but it won't be long before they do. I'm looking forwards to re-reading some of the reviews in those. They were often quite technical, with amp outputs being measured (which is where I learned that a 100W Marshall JCM800 head actually produced 180W flat-out, something that always stuck in my mind).