Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry's RC1 build.

Red face Harry's RC1 build.

Day one.
    Cut the headstock to shape. Had a bash with staining it but the red was too red so it's all coming off tomorrow.
    Cut a truss rod cover. Not perfect but I will try again.
    Bit of an issue with the body at the cutaway at the tail. The photo below shows what I mean. Those are actual holes and one is quite deep. Any suggestions for a filler that will take a stain? I don't want to stain it too heavily.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tail.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	16704 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRC.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	16705
    Last edited by HarrytheHat; 28-01-2017 at 07:53 AM.

You can get Timbermate, which is what almost everybody here uses, in the UK. It's water-based and readily takes stains. However, it is ridiculously expensive over here. Everbuild wood filler looks to be an equivalent product as it's also water-based. Should be available in hardware stores, or if not, there's loads on Amazon.

A lot of grain fillers are oil-based, some of these also contain a varnish which means whilst they can be stained before use, they don't take stain well afterwards. Fine for spraying onto, but not for staining. So its safest to use a water-based grain filler.

If you've got a deep hole, fill it a bit at a time, don't do it all at once. The deeper the filler, the more chance the filler will shrink a bit when it dries. It will also take longer to dry than several thin layers.

If you can get some more detailed pictured of the holes, I'd send them with an email to Adam. The kit shouldn't really have gone out like that.

Day 2:
    I know a lot of you like sanding. I can't see the enjoyment. I know it needs done. I stripped the neck and sanded and sanded.........
    I added a touch of mahogany to the red and got what I was after. The TRC is just for show at the moment.
    The holes in the body are slowly being filled. I got a light pine water based filler.
    While waiting for things to dry I wired up the pots. Shoved pickups on and tested. I'm using the wiring shown in the guides. Might go for the LP version. That's a while off yet.
    All that's required now is a nice wee Macallan malt and go spend some time with my guitar widow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	head2.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	16728 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	head1.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	16729

Looking good.
    Just keep in mind the tuning machines when shaping the TRC. There is a washer that goes on that might interfere with the TRC as it is shaped at the moment.
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

Yes, that bottom E tuner might be slightly problematic. Remember that it's not a strict Rick copy, so you may have to make a few compromises and thin down the width of the TRC near its base.

I see what you mean. The finished one will be white pearl cellulose. If I don't burn the place down cutting it.
    Filler has dried nicely. Instead of a hole I have a lump. If I decided to put a fifth pot for the balance in, any ideas of the wiring?

it wouldn't be hard to work up a layout to add a balance. The question is, why? With two volume, two tone and a 3-way you have your select, mix and match covered for the pups. Adding a balance pot will change the load in the circuit and probably suck away some more of your highs/treble without really enhancing your flexibility. Is there a particular reason you want a balance pot?
    Scott.

You made my mind up for me. It was purely aesthetic. It won't be getting played much. I got arthritic fingers, hence my new hobby of building. So, no balance. Maybe a bigsby copy? This one is merely for looks, hang on the wall and admire. My old tele build will do for hashing around.
    Is there such a beast as a 12 string Rick copy (a la Searchers). That would be a challenge.
    Thanks for the feedback. I do sometimes need to put the brakes on and have a think before barging on.

A quick Google shows loads of pictures of Rickenbackers with Bigsbys, so it can be done. How you work out what style of Bigsby is best for the guitar is rather beyond me at the moment as there are so many models available. My main concern would be to know what the body construction is like at the back of the kit and is it strong enough to take a Bigsby. If it's solid at that point, then it's not a problem, but if it's hollow, is there enough support?

On this kit, the top is cut away at the tail and there is a slight slope towards the tail. It's solid wood but basswood so not very strong.
    I just looked at google and the purists all say no to Bigsby on Ricks. It sure looks nice but the 11 thou strings are a put off. That's baling wire surely. I'm waiting on sealer to dry so the old imagination is running riot, idle hands etc.
    Washer on head is ok by the way, just clears and no more. That was luck not skill.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast