Thread: Decal removal and replacement

Decal removal and replacement

Hi,

I purchased a red pitbull thinline telecaster copy prior to Xmas, I have found a new cool decal and wish to remove the original Pitbull decal, what is the best way to do this?

After removal and replacement with the newer decal do I have to re-coat the area with clear lacquer, if so which one?

Thanks,

Skybass42

Overlord of Music
    I assume you are talking about one of the pre-assembled models. The only way you will be able to get that logo off is to sand the entire face of the headstock down. As for finish, I am gonna have to assume it is polyurethane of some sort. It could be tinted, it might have a stain on the wood of the neck. Either way, you will have a heck of a time trying to match it to the rest of the finish.

In short, I wouldn't bother. Maybe consider a kit you can start from scratch and put your decal on that.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

3. Liked by: skybass42

Hi,

Yes one of the pre-assembled models, in fact the "pitbull red thinline telecaster" as I stated. (http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/f...-dakota-red-2/)

Well thanks for the advice, pablopepper, here is what I did:

There was no stain on the neck, nor tinting in the lacquer.

I removed hardware from the headstock and lightly sanded the pitbull logo with 800 grit sandpaper until it was removed (I didn't sand through the last layer of varnish nor did I sand the entire front of the headstock...only where the logo was located.).
    I purchased a small tin of Dingotone 100% Natural Neck Finish – Final (Top) Coat from pitbull. (http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/d...inal-top-coat/)

I placed one light coast of varnish on the sanded area. Waited 24 hours.
    I then placed the new water decal on the headstock. Waited 24 hours.

I then applied two light coats of the neck finish, waiting 24 hours between coats and lightly sanding with 1200 grit sandpaper after drying.
    I replaced the hardware and now looks fantastic and is like new.

It was very very easy to do.
    Last edited by skybass42; 13-03-2017 at 12:11 PM.