Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: another newbie

another newbie

Hi All
    Just wanted to start by saying how impressive this forum is...and the awesome amount of support and help that this community provides to its members.
    I'm would like to build an LP style...but am a little concerned about the set neck, and getting that right. I know Pit Bull also has a bolt-on neck option for an LP build. For someone with limited build experience, would you recommend sticking with a bolt-on option?

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi91 View Post
    For someone with limited build experience, would you recommend sticking with a bolt-on option?
    Not necessarily. In my experience the set neck is relatively simple to put together. I've done two set neck Les Pauls and both were hassle free installations. Ideally you pretty much just need clamps and glue.

Where it would get tricky is if the neck and pocket don't match up well, then you would need to do some more advanced tweaking. This can happen with bolt-on necks too though. I've had two bolt-ons that I've needed to do some modifications on so they both have their risks. In the end I would say choose the one that you would prefer to have on your completed guitar, regardless of perceived difficulty.

thanks for the insight! My preference is to stay true to the LP and go with the set neck.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi91 View Post
    thanks for the insight! My preference is to stay true to the LP and go with the set neck.
    Cheers
    Always happy to help, especially for a fellow Canuck. Gotta balance out all the Aussies on here!

5. Liked by: OliSam

Hi and welcome. I'd agree with CGG, if you want a LP, then go for the set neck.

If you want to start with a bolt-on, then I'd go for a Tele or Strat kit. They're slightly easier finish-wise as the neck is easy to finish and you only have to worry about staining or spraying the body colour. With a set neck, if the body and neck are different woods, then when staining, matching the colours can be slightly tricky (if you're bothered about that sort of thing).

Thanks for the welcome! I believe in this case the LP kit has a basswood body with a maple neck. I don't think a slight variation in finish will bother me too much, but certainly a good point to think about...thanks for making me aware.

Welcome bodhi91
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

I agree, I don't think they are any more difficult, just different. Provided you do a dry build and make sure everything lines up before committing to the glue, it's no harder.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Welcome Bodhi! I'd go for a set neck. I did not have any experience with that but it is just that it gives you an enourmous kick when you are ready to glue in the neck. And the next day when you remove the clamps with shaking heads, will it hold, doesn't the body drop of... A thrill!!!
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Thanks Kick! I think the entire build will be a thrill...I am looking forward to it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast