Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody building a new PC DAW System

Anybody building a new PC DAW System

You guys might want to look at the New Intel Nuc i7 system
    Here's some info and a review.

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/vide...eid=28a2b0eb42

KB you are ALIVE mate ! Happy new year buddy hope all is good !

I was about to send out for the KB search team !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

I have to laugh at someone thinking that 2 x 2TB 'should be enough for even the most demanding music or post production'. I have several pro friends (generally making games music) with at least 6 x 2TB drives, and they still need more.

that's it Simon, it's a bit like DB's hated axe products encyclopedia comes on a 20TB hard drive as that's the size of the document haha
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Only one screen is going to be too limiting for a lot of people. Not all, but when you're used to multi screens, it's hard to go back.

While I haven't used that particular model, an issue with the NUC series is they use laptop parts which are cut back to reduce the heat generated. You're not going to get the same grunt out of them as a regular desktop and even small form-factor desktops are a lot more flexible in configuration.

That particular NUC isn't cheap either - around £600 here in the UK (A$1000ish) - and you still need to fill it with RAM and add hard drives etc. My music PC has 3 drives, one for O/S and programs, one for projects and one for samples. I'd prefer to keep that configuration. I'd also like to see a couple more USB ports without having to use a hub. So many keyboards have USB connections these days, plus I already need two USB ports just for dongles. Although it has two internal USB ports - with that small size case I doubt you'd be able to fit a dongle inside the case. Also, with no Thunderbolt 3 to Firewire adaptors available, it would be new audio interface time and so even more cost, especially since my MOTU unit is still working perfectly.

Plus I've just remembered my two UAD PCIe Quad cards. Around £1400/A$2300 to replace with an external unit. No, I'll stick with a standard form factor PC.

Hey Woks how are you good sir. I hope you had a brilliant break and the new year is starting off brillantly . Guys have you seen the size of the Pro Tools project its massive and each track has plugins. It's super fast the latest i7 6th Gen mobile CPU and it's really quick 2.6 -3.5 ghz The memory is the latest Ddr4 and its fast too. I can make 3 of these for the price of one New Mac desktops and they perform faster than the macs too. It comes with the CPU you need to add memory and hardrives. The cost of base unit is $600 dollars for the average user 2 x 500 gb SSD is more than enough,and you can run ext hdd if you want too. Plus has Thunderbolt 3 40gbs which is blisteringly fast and USB 3. This isn't the old Intel Nucs but a completely new beast. Plus if you already have hardrives big bonus. I'm going to build one of these in the near future I'll let you know how it goes. I'll keep you posted. Maddog most all the new macs use notebook memory even the iMacs I have use notebook memory too. Strange I always technically think Apple are very behind on new hardware.

Thanks Guys
    Kimball
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7363.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	16330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7371.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	16331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7372.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	16332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7373.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	16333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7374.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	16334  

Last edited by kimball492; 13-01-2017 at 07:13 PM.

My desktop DAW PC has been a work in progress ever since I first bought the hardware that's in it, I have just done the latest update of Windows 10 from Threshold 2 to the new Creator's Update on both my desktop PC and my Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop, so far it's been pretty good, only had one hiccup on the Laptop.

Funny thing is, I thought the new Creator's Update wasn't going to be available till later on this year, but I got a notification in Windows Update saying I could get it sooner rather than later by clicking on the displayed link, so I did and it took me to the Microsoft webpage where I could download the latest Windows Update Assistant, then I just ran it as administrator, the good thing is that it left all my files alone where they were and I didn't need to do any backing-up.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast