Thread: Removing very small dents from quilted cap

Removing very small dents from quilted cap

There are a couple of very small dents in the quilt cap of the new TL-1Q kit that I would like to bring up if I can.

Given the cap is only about 0.6mm thick, raising would be preferable in my mind rather than sanding them out or bogging them with Timbermate, these are seriously small but I really want to make this one "the one" and get it spot on.

The minister for war & finance knew I was buying the kit but I think she would be rather excited if she saw the final invoice of local and US sourced parts involved in bringing it together.

I could have got a Fender Tele FMT HH in Hawaii in April for less it was never going to follow me home I really hated it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fender-special-edition-custom-telecaster-fmt-hh-180079.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	16251

Hi Dave,

Have you thought about using the damp cloth and soldering iron method?

My only concern is if the moisture could separate the cap.

To explain the method:
    Place a doubled up damp (not wet) cloth over the dent. Rub the tip of the soldering iron gently on the cloth above the dent.

The soldering iron causes steam to pushed from the cloth into the wood fibres. The fibres re-expand smoothing out the dent.
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/

Thanks Col.

Turned out to be a false alarm when inspected in better light, no dents or scratches to be found after I spent the time setting up to repair the offending spots.