Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: February 2017 GOTM

PRS-1Q by AxeMurderer

Some very nice guitars this month but I'll throw my hat in the ring with my first build...

This is the PBG PRS-1Q kit with;
    • PRS shape headstock with quilted maple veneer
    • U-Beaut dye, Aussie Oil and Traditional Wax
    • Pleeenty of elbow grease
    • Upgraded Tuners - Grover Rotomtics
    • Tonerider Rocksong P/ups
    • Tusq nut
    • Upgraded to CTS Pots & orange drop cap

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Complete - 1.jpg 
Views:	910 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	16751

Name:	Complete - 2.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	291.4 KB 
ID:	16752

Name:	Complete - 3.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	16753

Name:	Complete - 7.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	16754

Name:	Complete - 8.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	16755

Cheers
    Dean

2. Liked by: wazkelly

AxeMurderer - that's a very nice looking guitar. Love the green and gold burst.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLane View Post
    If only I was that brave. Love the concept. Is it to be used for a particular song or set? I'm sure it will hit the spot.
    Last year a mate of mine bought his first electric, and was keen to put on a gig where we're the backing band for friends and family singing karaoke. So being my first gig in over ten years, I was pretty keen to have something a bit showy - even if it was for a couple of dozen people at a tiny local pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Any plans to put some clear coats on it now? It's good enough to be worth finishing properly.
    Yeah, definitely. Just finding it hard to put down at the moment. It's hard. I know the more I handle it, the more likely it will get some dings, scratches, etc. So I think once these stupidly hot 40 degree days that are likely to screw with the rattlecans are past us, I'll take the time to finish it properly.

Guys love all the builds so far, i just love all the different and innovative ideas you builders come up with, keep em coming dudes
    Fender electric Fat Strat mim. (Bought)
    Maton Electric Acoustic EM325C
    Pitbull Guitars ST-1 ( finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5970
    Pitbull Guitars SG-2 ( Finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6124

Pitbull Guitars JM-1 (Finished. 2018 June GOTM))http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7150
    Pitbull Guitars TL-1 (In production) [url]https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8676

Okay - entries have closed - I'll get them off to the judges and get a result in the next few days.

So - we're now ready to reveal the results...

But first - a general comment from one of the judges:
    "Holy cow, you first timers are pumping out some awesome axes - great to see!"

The comments - submission order:

DarthAcrymon's PRS-1Q
    Love the blue - with the gloss, I'm thinking the beach on a hot summer day… If I had to be critical (which I have to to separate all the great axes) - I'd say that I'd like to see some shape to the top of the headstock and a personal logo, but overall great build.

Excellent first build Damien, You wanted a cool PRS so you certainly made one. Some sweet upgrades and those Schaller bridges are awesome. Love the blue. A shaped headstock and logo to make it yours would have really stepped it up - cool guitar, looking forward to the next one.

Love the swimming pool effect and colour on quilted top. Extra points for upgraded hardware however a slight deduction for no logo or headstock shaping. Overall a very nicely presented axe.

Colour turned out great. A shaped headstock would have made it looked finished.

Really nice first build and nice upgrades, the colour looks excellent on the quilted maple veneer. Would have been better if you shaped the headstock and put your own logo on to say you built it.

Andy40's SGD-612
    Stunning Burst finish. An envy creating guitar.

Another top quality build Andy and love the burst and colours really work well. I can't fault the build. Top work !

Andy you should get extra point just for degree of difficulty, awesome build. Love the head stocks and logo, this will certainly howl. Great work with the pups too. Nice work with the Dingotone, a ripper burst job.

Fantastic burst - it has come out really great. Nice tones and blends - you're looking to knock Wokka off as king of the burst!

Extra points just for doing a double necker. Pulled off a great burst finish after some jack socket challenges early on. Nice touches with the Howling Wolf name spread across both headstocks plus their uniquely shaped profiles. Highly desirable axe

DMartin's SGB-34
    Love both the colours and the finish. The racing stripe has been executed brilliantly. Being nitpicky, I’d personally have liked to see the stripe go across the back as well to balance it out – I know it’s not visible, but I’d know its not there.

Wow what a great bass, this looks badass indeed. Cool logo and very slick finish. Racing stripe dilemma worked to your advantage, a real point of interest the doesn't detract. If this is number 2, looking forward to 3...

Eye catching simplicity. In a room full of axes this is one you would notice.

Really clean build, love the white and the crackled stripe works well. A build I would be proud of well done.

Very elegant in white with the crackle effect racing stripes. Like the cheeky headstock logo too. Finished to a high standard.

GregLane LP-1MQ
    Top effort for your first build considering all the veneer issues encountered early on. Love the colour scheme, unique headstock shape and logo. Extra points for timber matched control plates on the rear plus use of same timber for your own logo'd truss rod cover.

Greg this looks the goods mate. Shows what can be done with a totally standard kit. Wild headstock and nice logo. The colour combo is classic and looks great. Well done on the covers, nice touch.

Headstock shape & cavity covers are great departures from the norm.

Lovely red – the blend of colours and subtleness comes together nicely. The headstock shape is original and a great feature. The wooden cavity covers and attention to detail gives this a high end feel.

Love this LP build you chose nice colours and the headstock shape is original and cool as. A stunning build top effort !

G-Axe's Ex-1
    Well done G this catches the eye straight away - in a good way. Flaws or not, it does exactly what you designed it for - rocking out! A very cool take and nicely modded body to really make it yours, I like it a lot

Well thought out & executed customisations.

Love the patterns and colour choice, must have taken hours to do the pattern. Cool looking explorer well done.

Eyecatching and hypnotic – this axe looks great. I like the consistency of colour across the body and neck. I agree that it’d be good to clearcoat for protection, but can understand the feeling of enjoyment from playing your own guitar.

Surprisingly good result for such a rushed build. Vinyl stickers work well with the bold body reshaping, particularly the lower front Iceman shaped horn. Extra points for including an action shot. Look forward to seeing more shots once you have had time to get some clear top coats done and oiled or waxed the fret board.

Axe Murderer's PRS-1Q
    The first time I saw this guitar I instantly wanted it.

This has a sophistication to it that is amazing – love how it has all come together with colours I’d never pick for a guitar – it has turned out stunning.

Everything but the PRS logo - some really nice enhancements and upgrades. Nice burst - not the usual and turned out nicely. Cool logo and the black hardware really ties it all in.

Stunning finish from every angle. Love the burst finishes on both front & back. Extra points for veneer on headstock, logo and personalised shaping. An axe I would be proud to own.

Stunning PRS build this thing oozes class. Would love this axe in my collection. Great choice of colours you got the most out of the quilted maple veneer.

Thanks to the judges for those comments - it takes time to review each of the entrants to get a winner, but there can be only one....
    Last edited by Brendan; 06-02-2017 at 09:43 PM.

So to the runner up:
    Andy40's SGD-612 - this stunning 18 stringer has been wonderfully finished and looks great.

The winner though:
    Axe Murderer's PRS-1Q - for a first, this is a killer guitar. You've done a great job and I hope it plays as great as it looks!

Understandably, only a fraction of a point separated first and second, and its easy to understand why with such a high quality of entrants. Well done to all!
    Last edited by Brendan; 06-02-2017 at 09:45 PM.

8. Liked by: Hobastard

Congratulations Axe murderer and Andy. I couldn't split these two entries and gave them highest scores. Well done all other entrants were all of a high standard
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

well done Axe Murderer, a well deserved win

Well done to the rest, this is now a very difficult comp to win and judge, the level is so high

Congratulations AxeMurder and Andy. You sure kept those judges on there mettle.

Thanks Bendan and your judges for the constructive comments on my build.

Sure was a constructive 4 months. Now I have been playing the guitar for a month I am identifying issues which start another wave of research into a new realm. Examples have been what pup for upgrade, what capacitors and now I have realised that I have a high fret. Well here we go again - tools have been ordered.

I definitely have the GAS (and 7 grandchildren) so as they say in the classics "I will be back"

Thanks again and thanks to all on the forum for there great support and advice.

Greg
    Guitars:
    Build #4 - Scratch SG - Qld Mahogany - In Progress
    PBG#3- - ES-1F - kit electronics (Dec 2020)- upgrade if I can do it justice
    PBG#2- - STA-1 Ash w black upgrades GOTM June 2020
    PBG#1- LP-1MQ http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6378
    Acoustics -Washburn WD18SW
    - Maton Australian EA80C
    Electric - Magnum pseudo Stratocaster - upgraded with PitBull bits - 2020

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Axe murderer and Andy, well done! And I say the same every month - all entries are of a very high standard great work all

Greg - your journey has just begun, welcome to the world of guitar tweaking!
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast