Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: TL-1H.....Tele Deluxe

My car was flooded in the recent rain storms
    Got it repaired.
    When I picked it up I noticed that the repair shop had a spray room
    I asked the dude if he would do a tough clear vote on my guitar body
    He said no worries

Just thinking.
    I have done the base and colour with rustoleum. The top clear coat also- but it turned out badly and soft and sticky and wouldn't settle.
    So I sanded it back in prep to re spray it.
    But then this happened.

Should I give it a go?

Would this come out ok??
    Whadayareckon guys?

Oli the only way to learn is to do it yourself, but on the other hand the car repair shop will do a top quality spray job, so it's really up to you and what he is charging
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Hmmmmm. You got me there wokka
    I feel like I should give it another go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's the spirit Oli. The best way to learn is to have another crack at it ! Make sure it's not too humid or hot before you spray paint

Completed builds

6. Liked by: OliSam

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Oli the only way to learn is to do it yourself, but on the other hand the car repair shop will do a top quality spray job, so it's really up to you and what he is charging
    Late on this one but will say that I know my limitations, and using an airbrush is one of many limitations I have!! I use a airbrush artist to do any and all artwork on my guitars, and on my last one, which was unpainted but clear coated only, I masked everything that I didn't want cleared, and gave it to him to spray when he had other stuff to coat. (He does motorcycle tins as his main earner). My point is, he does an awfully good job with the best of materials and because I was prepared to wait on the job, it cost me the price of the 2-pack used on the job, about 15 bucks.
    Now, I could not possibly do the same quality of work for that kind of price so consider it money well spent! Also, I sold all of my spray gear, apart from a small airbrush, some years ago and really don't want to be outlaying a considerable sum for good gear....

Again, money well spent....

Yes, I realise that learning how to do the painting is part of the ethos of building your own and if I were a little younger and full of plans for the future, perhaps I would persist, but even with a car painter uncle who endeavoured to teach me the finer points of the trade, I was never very good at it!!

Funny, though.... I'm quite prepared to do anything else on a build - I even wound my own pickups many eons ago, as an exercise, mind you!! - but painting/clear coating gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies....
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Just curious how this decalpaper will work. I'm thinking of using the same for my upcoming build...
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Hey Kick it's pretty easy to use. Purchase the decal paper from ebay. Print your image or logo onto the paper with an inkjet or laser jet printer. Let it dry for a few hours. Seal the logo/image with a clear coat. Let dry overnight. Cut as close to the image/logo as you can. Submerse it in water for a few minutes then the backing paper will peel off. Place the logo on the guitar. Apply more clear coats for protection
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 02-03-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Completed builds

It also pays to use a decal solvent - Microsol was my chosen one - when applying the decal to move it around without tearing it; ask me how I know!!

Be aware, too, that sometimes when you're clearing over the dry decal, crazing can occur in the decal... I'm unsure why it happened to my project but it most surely did!
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast