Thread: TL-1H. Tech details on electronics

TL-1H. Tech details on electronics

Hi all !

Just ordered the above guitar

This will be my second PB kit!
    Was thinking about electronics upgrades on this one and had a thought.......

Can anyone please give me the tech details on the humbuckers, pots and capacitors that come with the guitar?

Thanks guys!

Can't say for sure as I've never made one, but I'd imagine that the humbuckers will be the stock humbuckers, probably with ceramic magnets. This should be supplied with a typical humbucker control set up, so there should be two 500k ohm audio taper pots (volume) and two 500k ohm linear taper pots (tone), plus two tone capacitors of 0.022uF.

thanks Simon. I'll wait and look. Do you know how to check this kind of thing?

Simon's correct on the pots and caps - they should be right - check youtube for the best way to check the pots and caps - there will also be a couple of tutorials on measuring the output of the humbuckers. Ultimately, you can put everything in and if you're not happy with the sound, replace and upgrade as you need to. That said, the Bournes pots and Orange Drop caps that Pitbull sell are certainly great quality and I'll generally replace the stock pots, caps and jack, even if I keep the stock pickups.

wow thanks Brendan
    thats a lot of good info.
    cheers
    Mark

hi guys. got the kit.

the pots are:
    two of these: B250K with a "CF" stamped on the back
    two of these: A250K with a different kind of logo stamped on the back

Question - which is tone and which is volume?
    can you help?

The ones with A on should be the audio taper pots and so are the volume pots. The B ones should be the linear pots and so are the tone pots. The stamps on the back are probably manufacturers marks.

If you haven't got one, it's strongly recommended that you do go and get a multimeter, as they are so useful in checking out guitar wiring - especially if you think there's a fault. You can get a reasonable one for less than A$20 from somewhere like Jaycar (and more convenient auto-ranging ones from under A$40).

It's worth testing out the pots just to be on the safe side. A standard pot consists internally of a carbon track forming an arc that's about 3/4 of a circle. The two ends of the track are connected to the two outer tags of the three connection tags on a pot. The centre tag is connected to a metal arm that's rotated around the track by the shaft of the potentiometer. This arm is normally called the 'wiper' (as it moves rather like the wiper on a car windscreen). By putting the wiper in the middle position on a linear (or what should be a B type pot), then by measuring the resistance between the centre tag and either of the two outer tags on the pot, you should get a resistance reading very close to half that of the pot. So for the B250k ohm pot, you should get a reading of around 125k ohms (125,000 ohms). It it's an audio pot, then the carbon track has a logarithmic response, and with the wiper in the middle position, then between the centre tag and one of the other tags you should get a value of about 10% of the pots value i.e. 25k ohms, and between the wiper and the other tag, you should get a value of about 90% of the pots value i.e. around 225k ohms.