Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TL-1TH attachment of volume/tone pots

TL-1TH attachment of volume/tone pots

I was wondering what the best way to attach the volume/tone pots to the scratch plate would be? I don't want to wreck the plate by doing something wrong.
    Cheers guys
    Harry

Hi Harry,
    The pots should just slip through the holes and the the supplied nuts and washers attach to the threaded section to hold them in place? Is this not what you have?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Theres a small part of the metal that sticks up from the surface of the pot which I'm guessing is to keep the whole pot from twisting when using them. Because theres no crevice in the plate for this to sit they don't sit flat and its longer than the plate is thick. It does come with nuts and washers and have a threaded section though

I see, normally you'd have like a shake proof washer for the inner and a flat washer to sit under the securing nut to hold things steady.
    It may be possible to trim that back, or at least get it to a point where it isn't in the way. Are you able to post a pic?

It may also pay to have a quick e-mail off to Adam @ PBG and he may just change them out for you. Failing that depending on where you are I have a number of the stock PBG pots that won't be used in my builds i can shoot off to you. What values are the pots you have?
    FrankenLab

I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to building guitars so I'm not sure what value they are. What would the shake proof washer look like? Because I think that the little bit of metal would definitely be important and it looks like I have all the parts that should be here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15731240_1252452804801834_679709655_n.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	15978
    Heres a picture of the pot

I'd almost just run with that, just pack up the height with suitable washers to give you a flat mount to the plate back.
    Provided of course that it gives you enough thread on top t o engage the nut.
    Last edited by FrankenWashie; 28-12-2016 at 04:10 PM.
    FrankenLab

Okay, and then just screw tight enough so it doesn't twist?
    Thanks a heap man

that would be the go, or source a skinny sort of shake proof washer y go against the plate underside.
    FrankenLab

Just grab some pliers and bend the tab flat (I always do), they're not really needed and usually cause more trouble than benefit. You'll find the tabs usually break as you bend them... bonus. However, if you do want to keep them, packing with washers or nuts to their level works especially when attaching to something thin like a pickguard etc.
    Scott.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast