Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DJP Build No2. LP-1S

DJP Build No2. LP-1S

Time to try another build.
    This time the LP-1S. Wood looks very good - faint rose-pink tint.
    I'm thinking of perhaps going au naturel with the Dingo Tone clear finish.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161201_200212_small.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	15971

Name:	20161201_202957 small.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	15970

2. Liked by: cade711

nice looking kit DJP, was this a chrissy prezzy ? can't go wrong with natural or a mild tint on a spalted top !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Yep ... Christmas pressie - been waiting to open it for weeks ! Any views on grain filling the top ? I was thinking of trying some ebony timbermate to see if the grain would pop some more - but to be honest, the wood already seems pretty bloody smooth and seems quite dense, I'm not sure it will do much (and I guess the veneer is pretty thin !). I might just timbermate the body.

Mate the consensus for flamed or spalts is to tread easy in all aspects. I've a flamed top LP going at the moment and I've skim coated that in ebony timbermate. It has popped the flame but basically pooped the whiter parts of the maple.
    Not sure what it would do on the spalt, but I'd recommend you steer clear of filling it.

Mine was always going to be a cliche stripped down LP done in solid black so my muddy looking flamed top is no tearjerker. The kit was a custom order that was supposed to have been solid mahogany, no veneer, but factory made a boo boo. I'll post some pics later in the build thread so you can see what I mean.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Nice looking kit DJP! From personal experience, you can't go past a natural stain on the Spalted tops, but then some of the coloured ones I've seen here look magical too.
    I did not grain fill, or even use timbermate on mine, and if you wanted to get an idea of how it would look with a Dingo Tone clear coat on it, I used a damp cloth over the face, and it sealed the deal for me. Don't over do it, and perhaps someone could suggest a better product to use instead of water since it did raise the grain slightly when I did it.
    Remember that these tops are extremely thin(around 0.5mm thick) so take it very easy on the sanding.
    Good luck with it, and keep posting up your pics as you progress!
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

Quote Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
    Nice looking kit DJP! From personal experience, you can't go past a natural stain on the Spalted tops, but then some of the coloured ones I've seen here look magical too.
    I did not grain fill, or even use timbermate on mine, and if you wanted to get an idea of how it would look with a Dingo Tone clear coat on it, I used a damp cloth over the face, and it sealed the deal for me. Don't over do it, and perhaps someone could suggest a better product to use instead of water since it did raise the grain slightly when I did it.
    Remember that these tops are extremely thin(around 0.5mm thick) so take it very easy on the sanding.
    Good luck with it, and keep posting up your pics as you progress!
    The go to fir grain reveal is Gum turpentine, so sayeth DingoBass. I've found that it is far less nasty on the nose than the regular stuff.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks folks. I think I will keep it simple - avoid filling and go for a nice light/clear finish (though I must say I was wowed by a recent post of a spalted top given a treatment with vinegar and steel wool - but given my inexperience ...maybe better to keep that one for another time !). The gum turpentine sounds a good idea to get a feel for what the finish will look like. Thanks

Whoops ..... after all that good advice I dug out the ebony timbermate.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161231_191806-800x600.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	16058

AND I AM ABSOLUTELY OVER THE MOON WITH THE RESULT !!!

Name:	20161231_182803-800x600.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	16059
    Here is a reveal with gum turpentine.
    Exactly what I was looking for. Happy.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast