Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Moo's TLA-1 - My First Build

Talking Moo's TLA-1 - My First Build

With great excitement I found this underneath the Christmas tree yesterday morning. Very excited to get started on my first ever build.
    Dry build done and all seems to be okay, just pickguard a bit small around neck as pictured (considering getting a tortoise-shell one anyway, so hopefully not an issue).

Any early tips before I get onto sanding?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kit 1.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	15937

Name:	kit 2.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	15938

Name:	kit 3.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	15939

No tips from me since I'm pretty new around here and getting a feel for it all, but welcome aboard. I'd be very excited to have found one of those under my tree too.

Welcome Moo. Take your time, ask lots of questions, have a look at other TL build diaries, think about what finish you want before you start shaping and sanding, and have a look through the How to Build... thread (and that section of the forum). Good luck and enjoy.
    Scott.

Awesome Moo, welcome aboard!

First up, if you haven't done so already, check your scale length to the centre of the 12th fret, this will dictate where your bridge goes as it's twice that measured distance.

Then use some temporary double sided tape and plonk your bridge in place, pop your tuners on in the two E strings positions. Plonk your neck in place and either clamp it in, or screw it it in and string up your 2 e strings to check the alignment of neck to bridge. You should have a consistent gap from each string to the edge of the board. Fit it's off either way then this will show it up and you can adjust accordingly.
    This is also the best time to see how your action sets up (strings height above fret board) and determine if you need to do any work on your neck angle.

What are your finish plans etc?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks guys!

Finish-wise I'm definitely planning on a stain rather than a solid colour as I assume this is much easier to end up with a good result? Thinking most likely a relatively light natural colour finish or (if I'm feeling particularly brave) a sunburst (but I worry this may be too hard). Any advice on this front?

Also, I've noticed that almost every thread seems to used the DingoTone finish available with PBG. I was initially planning on using some high-quality timber stain from the hardware store. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks FrankenWashie, I didn't think to do that, but I will make sure it's the first step now. I'll post a photo once I've done that and let you know how I go
    Last edited by Moo; 26-12-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Hi Moo welcome to the forum, nice kit you scored and gold hardware will look good. The Dingotone colours go well on the ash grain. Run it by us what stain you plan to buy from the hardware. Feast Watson proof tint range are fairly cheap and effective. If you are planning a burst then practice on some scrap wood it takes alot of rubbing to get a smooth transition of colours.
    Good luck with the build !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Welcome Moo, a tele is an excellent first build. Hardware store stains can be fine- but make sure they are compatible with you choice of clear or final finish - nothing worse than putting in all that work than to see your clear make your stain run... wonder how I know that...

Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    I was initially planning on using some high-quality timber stain from the hardware store. Is this a bad idea?
    Don't let DB catch you in the green shed and you might get away with it

Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Thanks guys!

Finish-wise I'm definitely planning on a stain rather than a solid colour as I assume this is much easier to end up with a good result? Thinking most likely a relatively light natural colour finish or (if I'm feeling particularly brave) a sunburst (but I worry this may be too hard). Any advice on this front?

Also, I've noticed that almost every thread seems to used the DingoTone finish available with PBG. I was initially planning on using some high-quality timber stain from the hardware store. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks FrankenWashie, I didn't think to do that, but I will make sure it's the first step now. I'll post a photo once I've done that and let you know how I go
    You can find some of the basic checks and advice on the building your pit bull guitar section of the forum in video form, before you go too far it's usually a good idea to check them out as it may save you getting over anxious or frustrated.

If things are happening that don't seem right then, stop. Take a breath, check the vids, or just post a question and one of. The mentors or gurus will come a running with advice. We've all been there and everyone here is more than happy to help.
    (I have a similar kit waiting to be started so if you come up with any really cool ideas, I'm going to go "YOINK!" For my build 😝😜😆
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

[QUOTE=FrankenWashie;125828]You can find some of the basic checks and advice on the building your pit bull guitar section of the forum in video form, before you go too far it's usually a good idea to check them out as it may save you getting over anxious or frustrated.

I have read through quite a few of them but will make sure I go through them again. Don't want to miss anything haha

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast