Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Here's what I'm getting myself for Christmas this year.

Doc I thought you would build your own metalzone pedal ? If I was you I would be saving as much money as I can to get out of the flats you live in with all the violence and crime around !

Pretty sure I have a similar metalzone pedal at home which I don't use with the digital Mustang amp head I have has all the pre-programmed distortion sounds
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 19-01-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Doc I thought you would build your own metalzone pedal ? If I was you I would be saving as much money as I can to get out of the flats you live in with all the violence and crime around !

Pretty sure I have a similar metalzone pedal at home which I don't use with the digital Mustang amp head I have has all the pre-programmed distortion sounds

I would have built myself a Metalzone, but after seeing how complex the schematic was(and I did manage to find a hand-drawn schematic online), I decided that it would be easier to just buy one, it's a bit too complex to lay it out on a bit of Vero board, and some of the parts need to be matched for parts of the circuit to operate properly, plus the cost of parts probably would have equaled what I paid for the new pedal, this is a case where sometimes it's un-economical to make them yourself.

On the other hand, a Vintage Fuzz Face pedal would be a more economical pedal to make, since it is a much simpler circuit, the cost in parts would be much lower (a Vintage Fuzz Face could cost anywhere from $800.00 to $1000.00 or more considering that it uses maybe $50.00 worth of parts), and it is hard to find a good sounding Vintage Fuzz Face pedal since they vary a lot, some don't even work unless repair work is done on them.

I did have a decent think about it, but I came to the conclusion that it would work out cheaper to buy one rather than to build one, the circuit of my Baja Real Tube Overdrive pedal is easier to build compared to the Metalzone, and it probably cost me around $60.00 in parts alone, plus another $30.00 for the set of professionally etched circuit boards.

But you're right, Wokka, I should also be putting some money aside for when it comes time to do the move, it looks like it's going to be some time till I actually end up doing it though.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 19-01-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Update:

I just tried my new Boss MT-2 Metalzone pedal through my Marshall's clean channel, and it sounds better than the amp's own overdrive channel, so, I'm keeping it for sure, the BC Rich Warlock sounds great with the pedal too, I can now get those Metal scooped-mid sounds without the bass farting-out (for want of a better term).

I hope you've got a monitor at home to rest one foot on whilst rocking out.

5. Liked by: corsair

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I hope you've got a monitor at home to rest one foot on whilst rocking out.

If not, I'll just do what the jazz musicians do, improvise one out of a suitably-sized wooden box, then....I can strike lots of cliche rock/metal poses, just so that people can say..."Geez....what a poser!!"....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Don't forget the fan blowing in your face.

Haha....that's right, we must not forget my legions of fans, who are fan-tastic.....sorry, couldn't resist, and pun fully intended.

Update:

I've just finished recording a quick demo of my new BC Rich Warlock guitar for you guys and I'll post a link to it once it's all sorted.....stay tuned.

Here we go, at long last, here's a link to the demo I recorded:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...k%20Record.mp3

Recording Signal-Path:

BC Rich Warlock guitar into a Boss MT-2 Metalzone Pedal, and then straight into input one of my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface, and then into FL Studio.

Plugins Used:

Lepau Lextac VST Amp Simulator set to the clean channel.

NadIR VST Impulse Response Speaker Cab Simulator, set for a 4 X 12 Cab miced up with a Sure SM57 mic.

Note:

At the start of the recording I'm recording the guitar clean so you can hear what the stock pickups sound like, I start with the bridge humbucker, then both the neck and the bridge humbucker selected, and then finally the neck pickup, after that I switch on the Boss MT-2 Metalzone pedal set to give a high gain sound, there is some palm-muting chugging, some whammy bar abuse, and then some more palm-muting chugging.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 23-01-2017 at 09:48 AM.

sounds great Doc, love the dirty sound. What are the stock pups ?
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    sounds great Doc, love the dirty sound. What are the stock pups ?

Apparently from what I've read online, the stock pickups are BC Rich B.S.D.M passive Humbuckers (not sure what that means though), on the more expensive Joey Jordison Warlock model, they are active EMGs, my BC Rich Joey Jordison Warlock II guitar is the less expensive version of the two versions that BC Rich manufactured, the more expensive version featured a neck-through-body design, whereas mine is a bolt-on neck design.

I guess I could quite easily upgrade the stock pickups to active EMGs at a later stage, the battery could fit in the control cavity cause there is just a master volume and 3-way pickup selector switch, if I did end up deciding to do the upgrade to active EMGs, I'd probably go for maybe an EMG 81 for the neck and an EMG 85 for the bridge (I think they are the correct models I'd need).

I tried my new Metalzone pedal through the clean channel of my Marshall amp and to my ears it sounded better than the amp's own overdrive channel.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 23-01-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast