Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Chuck’s ST-1M “Surfcaster” build

Chuck’s ST-1M “Surfcaster” build

Okay, time to start the next build diary seeing as I’ve finally finished my JB-4M “Bass IV”. The ST-1M kit arrived about a month ago but as usual there will be a few tweaks. For starters, instead of the stock pickups I have received two Entwistle AS57 pickups, a neck and a bridge. Why no middle? I won’t be having a middle!

To explain further, the idea for this kit is to try and achieve something similar to the Hard Road E-type Jaguar that Fretworn posted a while back – here’s the video that inspired me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB4cUe9X35E

The key component for this is a Freeway Ultra switch! I have managed to secure the wiring diagram that the E-type uses from the good folk at Freeway so that's an excellent start (although the wiring does look a little, um, terrifying!).

As far as body reshaping goes, there will no doubt be some kind of offset mashup because I can’t help myself, and I’ve got an idea for a twist on the standard F headstock shape. I’ll be making a new pickguard as there’s no middle pickup, and I’ll also have to work out where to put a small toggle “bright” switch.

I’m still not entirely sure on the colour but it will may be another “solid” colour from the MTN paint chart… although there could be a little more “art” tied into it. That’s where the “Surfcaster” idea comes in: I want to draw some inspiration from my other great love – surfing – in terms of the look and feel of the guitar.

Anyway, onwards and upwards – and hopefully some solid progress over the Christmas period when I’ll be having some time off.
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compañeros

This is going to be fun

I get a headache just thinking about it. Soooo many options.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Oh yes, what a cool guitar - and a six speed shifter too!

One thing I did want to mention is that I used cloth covered wire from Realparts when putting it all together. I've got to say it was so much easier using it than with any other wiring job I've done with normal wire. While it costs a bit more I'd highly recommend it.

Edit: Oops, just realised this post was actually meant for the last build thread...
    Last edited by Chuck; 19-12-2016 at 10:03 AM.
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Agree, so much easier to push back the cloth insulation

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Wow, time flies and not much progress (happy new year all!) – although I did cut some bits off the body, 'cos that's what I do! I’m still at the 40 grit and rasp stage of body mods, but it’s a start.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Initial reshaping 020117.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	16108

The biggest challenge at the moment is what to do with the pickguard. As mentioned I can’t use a standard strat one as I’m only using two pickups, and I’m also thinking about filling in the jack rout and plugging in through the pickguard. I didn’t particularly enjoy making a new one for the last build, so I’m looking for a different approach. I also want to paint over the pickguard (I’ve now decided the body won’t be just a single solid colour) but I’m concerned about how the paint will take to the plastic of the guard. One option at this point is to get a very thin veneer and epoxy it to the standard pickguard. That way I’ll cover off the two challenges: paint will now go on to wood, and I’ll also be about to cover up the standard strat routs and holes in the pickguard that I won’t be using. I think it'll work but I'm still trying to dream up a different approach...

Anyway, that’s where I’m at … and with any luck I’ll nail a couple of steps over the next week before heading back to work.

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

Nice offset feel you've got going there!

One possible alternative is to use a clear pickguard material, and paint it on the underside. This will both protect the paint and make the pickguard opaque, so you can't see what's underneath. But whatever you do, it seems you still end up making a pickguard.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    But whatever you do, it seems you still end up making a pickguard.
    Ha! I think I've resigned myself to that fact too!

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

I decided to stop over-thinking the pickguard thing and just do what I'd originally thought of - the veneer option. The veneer came from a sample pack I think I bought at a woodworking show many years ago. Of the dozen or so in the pack, some were a bit wavy, so I chose the cleanest and flattest one for the job. It looks like Tassie Blackbutt a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	030117 pickguard A.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	16137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	030117 pickguard B.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	16138

Some 5min epoxy seems to have worked well, and I've done a very preliminary rough shaping. The veneer is only 1mm thick, so when I bevel the edge you'll still see the white/black/white edge of the original but that should work in okay with the paint scheme. In some ways it's a pity to cover that nice veneer with paint, but I'm sticking to my plan. I'll let it dry properly overnight before doing any more tidying up around the edges and doing a bit of scraping on the surface to clear off the excess epoxy that somehow magically found it's way there.

Next step is to finally decide whether to fill in the jack cavity, and then do the routing near the lower horn for the pickup selector switch.

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast