Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chuck’s ST-1M “Surfcaster” build

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Looking really nice Chuck especially the pickguard!

I notice a drill press in one of the pictures, I assume you'll use this for the bridge holes. Is the throat depth deep enough on the drill press so able to reach the bridge holes? Reason I ask is that a drill press is next on my 'investment' list.. a lot of cheaper non commercial drill presses have a very shallow throat depth.

Sent from Android Nougat
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdosborne View Post
    Looking really nice Chuck especially the pickguard!
    I notice a drill press in one of the pictures, I assume you'll use this for the bridge holes. Is the throat depth deep enough on the drill press so able to reach the bridge holes? Reason I ask is that a drill press is next on my 'investment' list.. a lot of cheaper non commercial drill presses have a very shallow throat depth.
    Sent from Android Nougat
    Hey Andrew, the one I've got is a cheapy from a green shed sale a few years ago - an Ozito DP350. The throat depth is approx 11cm, so not huge. I'm not sure if I've ever used it for bridge holes - I won't be able to on this one I don't think - and have been reasonably happy hand drilling those anyeay. The thing I'd really want one for would be a string through body where the holes have to be so perfect - thankfully I haven't had a build like that so no need to upgrade just yet.
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compañeros

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Thanks Chuck. I was looking at the same one for smaller jobs. It looks like will suffice for head-stock machine hole (re)drilling, f-type bass bridge drilling and for making drilling jigs for holes deeper than the press throat
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdosborne View Post
    Thanks Chuck. I was looking at the same one for smaller jobs. It looks like will suffice for head-stock machine hole (re)drilling, f-type bass bridge drilling and for making drilling jigs for holes deeper than the press throat
    Yep, mine is very much a smaller jobs kind of thing.
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

great minds think alike, I have a headstock very similar drawn up for my surfcaster/jagmaster when it arrives next month (except inverted)
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    great minds think alike, I have a headstock very similar drawn up for my surfcaster/jagmaster when it arrives next month (except inverted)
    Sweet - look forward to seeing it! Headstock shaping is an interesting thing for me as there such a fine line in getting it right. This one required removing way more wood that I originally wanted to, and I may even do a fraction more although I know I'm very close to crossing that line!

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

I reckon slightly more in the curl closest to the nut. A little more tubular bells
    Builds to date
    #1, 3 string box guitar
    #2, GR-1SF, November guitar of the month 2016
    #3, Charvel Surfcaster tribute scratch build. ( Completed )
    #4, Pawn shop Strat ( Completed )
    #5, Current build MM-1Q

Quote Originally Posted by JB RETRO View Post
    I reckon slightly more in the curl closest to the nut. A little more tubular bells
    I agree JB, just needs a little "hook" to that wave!

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

9. Liked by: JB RETRO

Bit of progress in the past couple of days... final body shaping was completed, then the normal procedure: sanded with 80, 120, 240, 400, wiped down with damp cloth, 400 sand again, wiped down with a timbermate slurry, then sanded with 400 again. I then vacuumed the body to get rid of all the dust and wiped it down with a clean cloth. Final step was attaching my "painting stick", so if the wind dies down a bit later I'll do the first primer coat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130117 body ready for painting.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	16371

I also finished off the pickguard as it will be following the next few painting steps alongside the body. I first finished drilling all the relevant holes, sanded with 240 and 400, wiped down with damp cloth, 400 sand again, wiped down with a timbermate slurry (probably didnt need to do the timbermate but figured why not!), then sanded with 400 again.

I'm really looking forward to the painting stage with this one so very happy to get to that point...

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

nice shape Chuck looks cool. So the switch is going near the lower horn.

Look forward to the colour coats after the primer, what colour will this be ?
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast