Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: G-Axe's First Build - ST-1M

But if it's a maple fretboard and you are going to lacquer spray it, then masking off would be pointless. Or did you just mean the frets, Gav?

Sorry man, didn't realise that a laquered FB was the target. Typically for my builds I don't lacquer the FB itself, but use dingotone wax to seal it (if I've applied a stain to the FB). If I'm going for a natural FB colour then I don't even seal it (same with rosewood), just use some AxeWax, Lemon Oil or similar.

cheers,
    Gav.
    --
    Build #01: BC-1
    Build #02: ST-1
    Build #03: JR-1DC
    Build #04: ES-2V
    Build #05: ESB-4 (GOTM July 2014)
    Build #06: RC-1
    Build #07: MK-2
    Build #08: TLA-1
    Build #09: JR-1DC
    Build #0A: LPA-1
    Build #0B: STA-1 (GOTM April 2015)
    Build #0C: MKA-2
    Build #0D: LP-1M
    Build #0E: JB-1
    Build #0F: FS-1

Find me:
    https://www.facebook.com/firescreek.guitars/
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.blogspot.com.au/

I was just assuming that's what G-Axe is doing as that's what I'm used to. I could well be wrong. I'd have thought you'd need more than lemon oil for long lasting protection, or do you just apply on a regular basis?

Yeah just regular application. DB could/should correct me, but I believe the general consensus around the forum is that lacquer on fretboards is undesirable. I can't remember the exact reason but I'm sure there is one . The guys who do fretless basses use coats of superglue to harden and protect them, but that's the only case I've seen where its de rigueur. That being said, each to his own depending on the playing experience and look you are going for.

cheers,
    Gav.
    --
    Build #01: BC-1
    Build #02: ST-1
    Build #03: JR-1DC
    Build #04: ES-2V
    Build #05: ESB-4 (GOTM July 2014)
    Build #06: RC-1
    Build #07: MK-2
    Build #08: TLA-1
    Build #09: JR-1DC
    Build #0A: LPA-1
    Build #0B: STA-1 (GOTM April 2015)
    Build #0C: MKA-2
    Build #0D: LP-1M
    Build #0E: JB-1
    Build #0F: FS-1

Find me:
    https://www.facebook.com/firescreek.guitars/
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden
    Looks rather like a Peavey-shaped headstock to me.
    Spot on. I love the sleek, sharkish (totally not a word) lines of it. It's the antithesis of the ugly little stump they put on the Wolfgang.

So Simon and Gavin - I'm going for a clear coated maple board. My personal preference is for unfinished rosewood or ebony, but this will be a second guitar for the mate I'm building it for. His first is a Les Paul (set neck, humbuckers, rosewood fretboard) and so I'm trying to go for the "opposite" of that (bolt on, single coils, maple fretboard). Beyond the very un-Fender finish I'm shooting for, I want it to feel very much like a traditional Strat.

Will definitely try out some oils on subsequent builds (provided this one doesn't turn on me at some point and burst my happy little kit building bubble.)

I'm not a great fan of lacquered maple necks myself, and do prefer the feel of rosewood or ebony boards. I have tried a couple of friends' home-assembled guitars where they've oiled the necks (not sure of the details as it was some time ago before I was less interested in the finishes) and I didn't like the feel that much. But how well they finished and oiled the necks and whether that was some of the problem I had with them - again I just don't know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3