Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: FrankenWashie's Third, The Cliche Black LP

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    Both black builds seem to have been cursed in some way? Is that why you have reverted to natural on more recent builds?
    It’s as if the guitar gods do not wish me to craft a metal weapon in black 🤔🤬
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Have you tried pink, with a fluffy bunny motif? At least it might prove or disprove the gods theory.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    It’s as if the guitar gods do not wish me to craft a metal weapon in black 🤬
    Maybe if you added a silver fern the gods may approve and allow you to achieve a smooth finish, eh bro?

Cheers, Wax

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

4. Liked by: JohnH

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Have you tried pink, with a fluffy bunny motif? At least it might prove or disprove the gods theory.
    If I do that, I will lose the guitar to my Daughter LOL!
    FrankenLab

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Well this one is going back in it's Box for a while.

I have other projects going on that require less frustrating effort to complete, and haven't yet pissed me off as badly as trying to get this thing flat.

We shall reconvene once I can be arsed sanding this back bare and starting again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey frank haven't been on the forum too much since xmas nothing on tonight so having a catch up it looks to me if the paint isn't sticking to the wood and quite a bit and of swell and shrink going on, black is the most pain in the arse to get it flat and to get looking beautiful and real easy to have it look terrible, it certainly requires attention to detail but looks killer when it done right what paint are you using, what are you using as primer and what are you using to fill the grain or sealer. is it a ash or basswood Are you wanting a super flat glass shiny black or a smooth arse matt?

It's not the paint, Phroz. The back for some strange reason, came with a veneer on it. It's the veneer that's chipped off on those edges.

Quote Originally Posted by phrozin View Post
    Hey frank haven't been on the forum too much since xmas nothing on tonight so having a catch up it looks to me if the paint isn't sticking to the wood and quite a bit and of swell and shrink going on, black is the most pain in the arse to get it flat and to get looking beautiful and real easy to have it look terrible, it certainly requires attention to detail but looks killer when it done right what paint are you using, what are you using as primer and what are you using to fill the grain or sealer. is it a ash or basswood Are you wanting a super flat glass shiny black or a smooth arse matt?
    Hi phrozin,
    It’s all done in rustoleum rattle cans, 4 undercoats over timbermate, about 4 colour, rubbed back, then 2 over the top of that.
    The issue at the back is that there was a seperate single piece veneer across the rear, and this is the bit that is bubbling and chipping.
    The paint on the front is sweet as, but this on the back will Sh!t Me up the wall if I don’t fix it.
    I have used the same paints in the SV-1 build with no issues, so I think it’s just prep and bad luck.
    FrankenLab

oh ok veneer on the back that's a bit strange Frank, 1 thing i will tell you and others if your doing a paint finish don't use timber mate for grain filler as it will swell and shrink back as it sucks up the reducer specially if your using rattle cans as they have a retarder in them, which make them idiot proof with shine but take longer to flash off giving it time to soak in to the timber mate and will give you headaches when its polishing time, there are a few things you can use better than that, something i did come across with Ashton guitars they paint on fiberglass resin and sand it back to only leave the grain filled. I am going to try it myself on a Strat i have here after i finish the one's i doing atm you guys know you don't need a grain filler on basswood, maple or any tight thin grain woods

are you thinking on yours the glue is the issue, if its just a thin veneer can you just grab the sander and sand it off or maybe squirt a bit of supa glue around (pre undercoat)where you think its going to chip off but i hear you mate spending the time to get things just right and some thing stupid buggers it up been there done that lol Ill folow this build to see if you get i sorted if you need any help just let me know 😁

Quote Originally Posted by phrozin View Post
    oh ok veneer on the back that's a bit strange Frank, 1 thing i will tell you and others if your doing a paint finish don't use timber mate for grain filler as it will swell and shrink back as it sucks up the reducer specially if your using rattle cans as they have a retarder in them, which make them idiot proof with shine but take longer to flash off giving it time to soak in to the timber mate and will give you headaches when its polishing time, there are a few things you can use better than that, something i did come across with Ashton guitars they paint on fiberglass resin and sand it back to only leave the grain filled. I am going to try it myself on a Strat i have here after i finish the one's i doing atm you guys know you don't need a grain filler on basswood, maple or any tight thin grain woods

are you thinking on yours the glue is the issue, if its just a thin veneer can you just grab the sander and sand it off or maybe squirt a bit of supa glue around (pre undercoat)where you think its going to chip off but i hear you mate spending the time to get things just right and some thing stupid buggers it up been there done that lol Ill folow this build to see if you get i sorted if you need any help just let me know 😁
    Thanks Phrozin, there’s a few issues with it.
    1. The back veneer is pretty thin, a single piece and I dont think it adhered properly in a couple of spots.
    2. The timbermate probably hasn’t helped things from what you’ve said.
    3. The cover routs go through the veneer and the exposed glue edge seems to have been affected by the repeated applications of paint.
    4. The veneer itself seems as if it is pretty delicate.

I’m thinking that I may Bondi the chipped edges, and try to wick some C.A. glue under the bubbled section and see how we go.
    The fibreglass resin idea sounds good, I might try that on the vee kit that I have as it’s all mahogany as well.
    FrankenLab

I have still got no idea on what to do with this one.
    I am also not looking forward to sanding it. I'm thinking of stripping the whole thing back and goign with the resin coating idea Phrozin proposed.
    FrankenLab

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast