Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Swapping neck nuts

Swapping neck nuts

How do i remove a nut and replace it with another one please ? I am trying to convert a left handed neck into right.

I've just grabed em with a pair of pliers and rocked gently back and forth untill the glue cracked and I got movememnt, then added upward pulling as well as rocking untill it came free. Much like a dentist pulling a tooth. just be gentle (she said)
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

It depends on the style of neck and nut. Is it a G type with the nut at the end of the fretboard, an F type with the nut inset in the fretboard or a locking style nut?
    Scott.

F type if you're not concerned about keeping the old nut - grab a sharp knife (exacto or something like that) and score between the nut and the fretboard where possible. Then with a hacksaw, cut from the top down, lengthwise through the guts - most of the way with a hacksaw blade. Grab some pliers and gently squeeze and the glue should let go and come out easily.

You have to defeat the glue before the nut will shift easily, and yeah; sometimes grabbing with the pliers or drifting them out with a softface hammer will work a treat. If the glue is being stubborn, though, putting a domestic iron - on a low heat - on the nut briefly will often defeat the glue and allow the nut to be removed. Generally though, there's only a couple of drops of white glue holding them in and a quick tap with the afore-mentioned hammer will do the trick!
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    It depends on the style of neck and nut. Is it a G type with the nut at the end of the fretboard, an F type with the nut inset in the fretboard or a locking style nut?
    Thank you Dedman, WeirdBits, Brendon and Corsair for all you advice. I have not got the kit in as yet, however the supllier has informed me that the nut is on top and is 45mm. I hope this helps ?

What sort of kit are you looking at? That will tell us what type of nut you'll be dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    What sort of kit are you looking at? That will tell us what type of nut you'll be dealing with.
    Hi Brendan, its an Iceman Bass kit.

There are a couple of things you need to check before you install the new nut, first thing to check is the Fretboard Radius that the nut was made for, most standard Fender nuts were made to fit necks with a 9.5 inch Fretboard Radius, I think all the F-style necks that are in the F-style kits are made with a 12 inch Radius, which is flatter than a neck with a 9.5 inch Radius, you can buy a set of Radius Gauges online from Stewmac, the other thing you need to check is the length, width, and height dimensions of the nut, most replacement nuts do need some sanding in order for them to fit properly, another thing to check is the string-spacing of the nut-slots that the strings fit in.

For G-style nuts, you only need to give them a few gentle taps towards the headstock and they will come out relatively easily, F-style nuts can be removed by grasping them with a pair of pliers and gently rocking them backwards and forwards, this is usually enough to break the glue-bond.

Take a lot of care removing F type nuts, the method described is correct but I have experienced fretboard and neck damage which happily in both cases was easily repairable.

Had nothing to do with rushing the job, I learned many years ago that being hasty is often expensive

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast