Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salutations from Chicago, IL

Salutations from Chicago, IL

Hi, I'm Raz (aka Chris); from Chicago, IL.

Just signed up, and just ordered my first Pit Bull Guitar (alas, not a kit as the one I want is estimated to be ready near February, and patience is NOT one of my strong suits). I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an EXG-7m.
    The biggest reason I even picked up a guitar roughly 6-7 years ago was because of Metallica, and, as you can guess, the Explorer-styled shapes are my favorite. I've also been wanting a 7 string for quite some time now, but, to be honest...I detest the lack of variety in the body styles of 7 strings. Per chance, I stumbled across a Pit Bull guitar on Reverb that matched both criteria. It was the sellers' kit, and the paint wasn't my cup of tea, however it proved that 7 string guitars with this body style DO exist! A couple of frantic google searches later I found this company. And now I bought my own.

Hopefully it arrives quickly, and I'll be more than happy to document and take tons of pictures, sound tests, and reviews. I also do plan on getting at least one kit, to test if I have any luthier prowess. However it IS Chicago and snow's gonna be here soon; so I think that maybe in the dead of winter a nice indoor project would be good.

Furthermore: Preliminary modification/changes I want to make to the EXG-7:
    1. White pickguard. Going to have to make my own or have a custom made for me.
    ...that's all I got so far. Open to suggestions!

Thanks all, and happy to be here
    -Raz

Another EX build, EXCELLENT! I look forward to your build progress.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I wouldn't really call it a build more so a premade that I plan on modding quite a bit and tinkering with.

I'm thinking that when the EX Kits are in stock and ready to ship, I make one in a nice silverburst. Or something similarly striking.
    Although a ES-2V or a TL with dual humbuckers DOES sound fun.

Hi Raz and welcome. I'm making an ES-3 at the moment, but also about to receive an EX-1 kit.

The real problem with cold weather is applying the finish. Not sure what sort of finish you were thinking of applying, but anything involving spraying needs to be done either outdoors or in a very well ventilated workshop, which makes it hard to keep warm. Spray paints (both nitro and acrylic) don't like it being too cold. Ideally you'd spray at around 70°F/21°C, and in a fairly low humidity. As you go below that, you get more runs in the paint (as it doesn't dry so quickly), and below 54°F/12°C, or in high humidities if a bit warmer, you will get a frosting effect in the paint. Waxing or oiling are fine to do indoors, although they'll still be giving off some organic compounds as they dry, so best to leave drying in a spare room with some ventilation.

Hey Simon:
    Thanks for the info with actual numbers. Much more tangible than just hearing "it can't be cold".
    I actually happen to have access to a large, heated, and well ventilated building should I take about an hours drive north.

Alas, one thing at a time. I'm gonna focus on enjoying my pre-assembled & painted EXG-7MBK for a while (once I get it) before starting a large project. That sort of thing will be done with more optimal conditions & situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I wouldn't really call it a build more so a premade that I plan on modding quite a bit and tinkering with.

I'm thinking that when the EX Kits are in stock and ready to ship, I make one in a nice silverburst. Or something similarly striking.
    Although a ES-2V or a TL with dual humbuckers DOES sound fun.
    Yeah, I kind had the same idea with my EXA-1 kit....http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=4846

it got a bit involved, really quickly!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I should have put my glasses on! Still, it still applies if you do decide to get a kit.

It looks like from your comments that you've realised a stock Explorer pickguard won't be any use, because the pickup selector switch is in a different location on the PitBull version. Also, whilst it might fit snugly between them, there is no guarantee the pickups on the EXG-7M are exactly the same distance apart as on a Gibson. It's hard to cut nice straight lines on a pickguard without some machine tools, and an Explorer pickguard needs a large plastic blank to cut from with several long straight edges, so if you do DIY, then practice on smaller pieces first.

ey Raz, is good to meeting you. I'm newbie too at this forum and I'm also a big Metallica fan, metallibashers rules! hahaha.

It seems is going to be good your project with the EX kit, I hope you keep on showing us the process with that kit, I'm learning now and want to know everything about everything hahaha

Hi Raz, Welcome and great to have another Explorer fan on board.

Know what you mean about the traditional Gibson styled scratch plate that comes part way up between both pickups. Plenty of aftermarket alternatives on eBay but a modification I did on the 1st one I owned back in early 1980's was to cut the bit off that goes up between the pickups. End result was more of a Firebird shaped scratch plate.

Being a Kiss fan at the time Paul Stanley had just switched to Ibanez and I absolutely loved his broken mirror themed Iceman, so much so that I had the Explorer resprayed in black gloss and got an actual glass mirror cut in that triangular modified scratch plate shape with holes drilled for the 3 way switch and mounting screws. It was a hoot to play on stage when catching the light show and reflecting that back into the crowd.

Sad how so many treasured things get sold off when you get married and have kids. Thankfully my PBG EX-1 kit has turned out better than the original one I had more than 30 years ago. This truly is an addictive past time.
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    Hi Raz, Welcome and great to have another Explorer fan on board.

Know what you mean about the traditional Gibson styled scratch plate that comes part way up between both pickups. Plenty of aftermarket alternatives on eBay but a modification I did on the 1st one I owned back in early 1980's was to cut the bit off that goes up between the pickups. End result was more of a Firebird shaped scratch plate.

Being a Kiss fan at the time Paul Stanley had just switched to Ibanez and I absolutely loved his broken mirror themed Iceman, so much so that I had the Explorer resprayed in black gloss and got an actual glass mirror cut in that triangular modified scratch plate shape with holes drilled for the 3 way switch and mounting screws. It was a hoot to play on stage when catching the light show and reflecting that back into the crowd.

Sad how so many treasured things get sold off when you get married and have kids. Thankfully my PBG EX-1 kit has turned out better than the original one I had more than 30 years ago. This truly is an addictive past time.
    I'm sketching and planning on cutting my own pickguard(s) from my own created templates & blanks. More ability to customize and (hopefully) less unpleasant surprises.
    I also know the exact Ibanez you're talking about. It's a nice looking one, however if a gloss black will show fingerprints I don't even want to think about glass.

And I know the last statement, just replace "married and have kids" with "student loans to repay". There are a few guitars I've gotten rid of that I truly, truly do miss.

11. Liked by: wazkelly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast