Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuzz's ES-1G

Fuzz's ES-1G

Hi all!!!

Thought I would start a build diary since I was too slack to take photos the last time.
    So here goes, Santa dropped by and left an ES-1G kit under the tree for me, THANKS SANTA!!!! Anyway this looks like it could be a whole different kind of beast to the ST-1 kit so I could use all the help I can get

I unboxed the kit and the neck fits nice and snug, the humbucker routes are a little tight in the corners.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151226_104731 [175952].jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	7175

The back of the guitar has some pretty sexy grain.

Name:	20151226_105151 [175949].jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	7176

Somethings I did notice though were a bit of a rough joint along the bottom of the neck pocket.

Name:	20151226_105007 [175950].jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	7177

A few rough bits along the binding

Name:	20151226_104839 [175951].jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	7178

The thing I noticed that worries me most is the high side of the fret board is rounded at the body end of the neck leaving the ends of the frets sticking up, any tips?

Name:	20151226_163606 [175947].jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	7179

Any words of wisdom are much appreciated.

Hi Fuzz,
    I recently purchased the same kit. I haven't started sanding yet but my mock build revealed similar things to yours. My neck pocket is pretty rough too. My humbuckers didn't fit at all so I've had to route out a little more in each corner of the pup cavity. I didn't notice the fretboard issue but will take a closer look when I get back from holidays. My binding looks about the same as yours in some spots but I've almost finished an esb4 kit which had similar issues straight out of the box and the binding comes up real nice with some careful sanding close to the edges.
    Looking forward to seeing how your build goes Fuzz. What colour scheme are you going for?
    I'm going for a lemon>cherry>black burst on mine.
    Cheers,
    Damo

I haven't progressed much further than this but I figured a little bit of sanding and filing would sort most things out. The rounded edge on the fretboard only effects 3 frets, I have to seat and level the frets so I'll figure out what I will do with the fret ends then. As far as colour goes I want to keep it light so I am pretty interested in the dingotone butterscotch or something similar.

Hi Fuzz, those high frets really need a bang with a fret hammer and if that doesn't work a clamp and some thin superglue might pull them down.
    Rest of the kit looks great. Butterscotch ES-1G sounds choice
    I'd grain fill those small chips near the binding, Might as well grain fill the hole cap
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Hi

I just have a few novice questions about timbermate.

First of all, today I wondered down to my local hardware store (no big green sheds around here) and there were a few colours to choose from and I was left wondering what is a good colour to use for a fill?

And second when I choose a colour do I sand first then fill then sand or do I just fill then sand?

Which Timbermate colour depends a bit on which wood and what colour you're staining it (and what effect you desire). I sanded to 320 first and I'm thinking I should have filled first in hindsight. It should be noted that I've had a few pints at a local gig so it might be worth waiting waiting until someone sober replies

HI FUZZ, I am interested in an ES as well so I am going to enjoy watching yours take shape and hear your thoughts on the kit.
    I may not change the World....but I'm gonna leave a SCAR......

Hi Fuzz, don't think it matters that you have sanded before grain filling. What colour will you be staining the flame maple cap ? Some colours work well with a dark grain fill and some a light grain fill. I tend to prefer darker grain fills like jarrah or even ebony is the darkest gives a cool effect and will pop the flames the most
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Nice start Fuzz, no problem with sanding before timbermate and then again after. Look after the top cap, they are pretty thin

Thanks I will keep all of this in mind

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast