Thread: Rob's PBA-5 (PBG Custom)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rob's PBA-5 (PBG Custom)

Hi Team,
    here we go again ... continuing to execute my plan to eventually own 1 of every kind of bass that I've wanted since I was a kid ...
    I've now got the J ... time for the P!

The plan for this build was for a reasonably stock P bass, but to add some mods that I've been thinking about for a while ... namely a Piezo bridge. I've been a fan of Ned Steinberger for a long time (still own a Steinberger bass I bought in the 80's) and thought that the inclusion of a Piezo pickup in his later instruments was an interesting idea ... thought I might give it a shot and see what the result sounds like. I was also interested in ditching the scratchplate and doing the routing for the pickup and at the back for the electrics myself. I contacted Adam and, after a couple of back-and-forward emails he helped me decide on a 5 string P bass, with the body made from Ash, with no routing apart from the neck socket.

While I was waiting for the kit to arrive I also acquired all the hardware that I wanted to use on the build:
    Schaller Piezo bridge, GraphTech Ghost pre-amp, EMG P5X active pickups, Warwick Just-A-Nut and straplocks and replacement Tuners (not a big fan of the flappy paddle stock ones)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beginning.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	425.3 KB 
ID:	14910

This build is going to take a while ... 'cause the "project manager" has some other projects she wants me to work on as well! (which is perfectly fine with me ... happy wife etc.!!)
    Last edited by ThreeBbass; 07-11-2016 at 06:21 PM.
    1st Build - JB-5RF (Runner Up GOTM November 16)
    2nd Build - PBA-5 (PBG custom)
    3rd Build - JMA-1 (JazzMaster)
    4th Build - LP-1S
    ... n+1 Build - currently plotting