Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tonerider pickups..

Tonerider pickups..

hey there, gang..

... re-visiting an old project and looking at repowering a single h/b, 1V 1T w/coil split with a Tonerider ACII Classic because I'm looking for a slightly underwound sound - about 8kΩ, as opposed to the 12kΩ one that's in there presently -, and the specs look pretty damn good... as does the price! I've used premium priced pickups before - SD and Bareknuckle - and found that they really aren't worth hundreds of dollars more than say, Kent Armstrongs!! YMMV, of course!!

So. Anyone got anything to say about Toneriders?? I believe you cannot have too much information in these cases, so let's hear you!!

Second question. The ACII is a 4 wire pickup, so can I put in the coil split AND a series/parallel switch? Working it out on paper suggests I can, and I've checked a manufacturers website which also says I can: does anyone in here know for sure if it's a go-er?

Thanks troops!!

John

Hey John, welcome.
    Toneriders seem to get great reviews here, I doubt you'd go wrong with them.
    Member Wierdbits is the wiring guru, but what you suggest sounds pretty doable

Cheers, man - I'll wait for the man to put me right!!
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Hi John, and welcome to the forums.

I put some Toneriders (can't remember the model) in an early Strat build of mine and then compared it to a $2.5k real Strat of a good friend of mine. We used his Marshall amp to get as good a comparison as we could and by the time you unplugged his guitar and plugged in my PBG we found it hard to pick any difference if any at all. He had new strings on his Fender and mine were a few months old at the time and we put the difference down to that. I know we're talking single coils here, but it proved to me that Toneriders are good value for the money.

I have also put AC4 HB's in a Tele thinline and a HSH strat and have been equally happy with them. I coil split the HSH but have not tried a series/parallel switch so can't comment.

Hope this helps.

rob

Overlord of Music
    I've used Rocksongs, Hot classics and Precision plus. You won't be disappointed. Best bang for buck pickups out there, I reckon.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Hi John welcome to the forum, I've used Toneriders on a few builds and recommend them good value for money.
    Weirdbits the resident wiring guru will help you do a coil split and series/parallel wiring diagram that will be possible to do.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

I have Tone Riders in a Tele and their P90's in a LP, can't fault either
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Yep, easy to do, a single On/On/On mini-toggle will allow you to have series/split/parallel. Alternatively, two push/pull pots can give you humbucker/split on one and series/parallel on the other... or, the two push/pulls can be inter-linked to give you 4 options: humbucker series, humbucker parallel, north single coil, south single coil.
    Scott.

Nice one, guys - thanks for the heads-up! Tonerider ACII it is, then!!

Scott, thank you! I need to fill the old output jack hole with something as re-finishing the front is a non-runner; I've re-sited the output jack to an Electrosocket side mount so an on/on sounds like 'the go' there!! Just a bog standard DPDT switch?

Is this diagram pretty close?

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pro...-Parallel.html

You blokes are great... you wanna see the thing in question? It's not a PBG, though...
    Last edited by corsair; 21-10-2016 at 05:13 PM.
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    I have Tone Riders in a Tele and their P90's in a LP, can't fault either
    Are the Tonerider P90's very noisy?
    first build PRS-1TS in progress...
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=4937

second build PRS-1Q in progress...
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=4956

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast