Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tonerider pickups..

Yep, something like that layout for separate humbucker/split and series/para push/pulls.

Any On/On/On double-pole mini-toggle, preferably a lot cheaper, should be fine.

Wired something like this for the mini-toggle:

For the inter-linked push/pulls option I don't have a bridge only diagram drawn up, but this should give you the basic idea. Just look at the neck volume and neck tone wiring and ignore everything else (including the phase toggle switch).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Humbucker_series_para_single_opt_3.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	14537
    Volume and Tone down: series humbucker
    Volume and Tone up: parallel humbucker
    Volume up, Tone down: screw coil
    Volume down, Tone up: slug coil
    (depending on your configuration)
    Last edited by WeirdBits; 24-10-2016 at 01:11 PM.
    Scott.

Tonerider Alnico IV's in my EX-1 and they sound awesome. Also went to the trouble of using bourns push/pull vol & tone pots for coil split only but did not bother with parallel as that sound is a bit thin for my liking.

If you haven't already checked Tonerider website it has some great sound clips for most of their PUP's which helped me decide on which ones to buy.
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Quote Originally Posted by corsair View Post
    Nice one, guys - thanks for the heads-up! Tonerider ACII it is, then!!

Scott, thank you! I need to fill the old output jack hole with something as re-finishing the front is a non-runner; I've re-sited the output jack to an Electrosocket side mount so an on/on sounds like 'the go' there!! Just a bog standard DPDT switch?

Is this diagram pretty close?

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pro...-Parallel.html

You blokes are great... you wanna see the thing in question? It's not a PBG, though...
    Would love to see it, doesn't matter if it isn't PBG, a few non local kits are floating around the forum build threads

I put tonerider ACII Classics in my LP. they sound just as good as any gibson or SD pups. I love the alnico II's
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Wow... cheers, Scott; what a cracker!! Yep; that's me, right there!!

And yeah; ACIIs FTW! :-)

A quick peek for those who asked...

New p/u and electronics, output to be shifted to a sidemount, neck sanded back and frets dressed, headstock completely redone by the Paintdoctor in Maryborough still with my father's wings and decorations and lockers in the tuner holes. Really just an itch that had to be scratched! I want it to be a companion piece to this one...

... this is the one I need the AIF Rising Sun badge for.

Thanks for the advice and recommendations, you blokes!!
    Last edited by corsair; 24-10-2016 at 12:46 PM.
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Neck's back and installed - once again, Hans did me proud and this time, he didn't even charge me!?! He said it was because he didn't finish the job the way we had agreed, but I think it was because he's a good bloke...

Whacked on the tuners, string trees and TRC, sanded down the bare wood on the back of the neck down to 2000 grit and blended the transition areas in and bolted it up. Put on the strings that came off it - I neglected to get a new nut so need to do that - just to hear what the Tonerider sounded like... tuned it up.... then turned on the amp.

Wow!! What a noise! The series/split/parallel is actually quite a subtle change, but it does change the sound appreciably with no apparent loss of volume... something that surprised me given that the impedance readings varied wildly!!

Very, very muscular, meaty sound that is clear and bell-like unaffected, through a clean amp but it dirties up just fine. Modern, scooped middish distortion is not this pickups forté but that classic overdrive-y sound will be a doddle to sort out, and the sort of cleans that Peter Green is famous for should also be easily obtainable; excellent!! Very, very pleased with the pickup and the switching and I love the look of the colour-matched headstock with the medal ribbons painted on - happy boy here!!

Pics soon and merry Xmas, you blokes!!
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
    Are the Tonerider P90's very noisy?
    Any straight P-90 is going to pick up a lot more noise than a humbucker, and more noise than a thin single coil like a Strat's. With its wide flat coils it's probably the pickup most prone to noise out there, which is why there have been a lot of dual-stacked versions in order to reduce the noise levels. Gibson's own attempt, the P-100, was quiet but didn't have the P-90 sound. Most of the double stacked versions are significantly deeper than the normal P-90s, so may not fit in guitars with thinner bodies.

My first P-90 equipped guitar was a Gibson LP DC faded (i.e. a cheap double cut LP special) and that was very noisy. I shielded the cavities and that helped a bit, but the lack of metal covers on most P-90s allows a lot of noise in. A friend has an old ES-330 with metal dog-ear P-90s, and he's never noticed undue noise. It seems a shame to me that manufacturers don't offer metal covers options for soap-bar P90s. They could still paint them black or cream and have them look like the plastic versions. The humbucker sized P-90s invariably come with a metal cover and benefit from the increased shielding, so why can't the normal ones?

Of course the amount of noise is going to depend on how much electrical noise there is in the location where it's being played, so for somewhere with minimal electric/electronics, they could be as quiet as anything else.

The Tonerider vintage P-90 set is a RWRP set, so are hum-cancelling in the 'both pups on' position. It's not stated on their website whether the Hot 90 set is, but being hotter, will probably also pick up a bit more noise.

The set of Kent Armstrong P90 p'ups in my Rat are reasonably quiet; there is a little hiss in bridge and neck only positions and nothing discernable when both are selected. The hiss is nothing a good gate can't fix...

- Marcel

My HotRod Strat has a Tonerider Rocksong Bridge Humbucker installed in it and I have to say that I really like it, and the pickup only cost me about $60.00 from Realtone Music, I was expecting it to sound a bit so so for that price, but was pleasantly surprised at just how good it sounded, and I agree, Tonerider pickups are best bang for the buck, so I'm seriously considering buying more in future.

Oh yeah, my HotRod Strat also has a couple of Kent Armstrong Dual Blade Single-Coil sized Humbuckers installed too, they are great for the price, I bought them from Realtone Music for about $50.00 each.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 24-12-2016 at 11:46 AM.

I'll be putting Tonerider Hot Classic Tele pickups in the Tuff Dog tribute when I build it in the new year

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast