Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Discussion on developing Build Your Own Amplifier Cab

Discussion on developing Build Your Own Amplifier Cab

Discussion, ideas, plans, examples, list of parts...
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speaker.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	13930
    Rather large for a 1 x12 but sounds great
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6178
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

that's a ripper Dedman!!

some hints from Celestion:
    http://celestion.com/speakerworld/gu...wn_Guitar_Cab/

I'm going to see if I can do a basic hand-drawn design for a 2 X 12 DIY Speaker cab, based on the dimensions of my Marshall MA100C amp, will scan it into my computer and then see if I can convert it to a PDF so that those interested can download a copy, stay tuned.

The AX84 Cabinets section may help with the 1 x 12.
    Scott.

Here's a link so you can download the PDF of the basic 2 X 12 Speaker Cab design I came up with, based on the dimensions I got from my Marshall MA100C amp, hope this proves to be useful to you guys:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...b%20Design.pdf

I can't see why this couldn't be made as an open-back Cab, even though my MA100C amp is a semi-open-back design, I'm going to use this basic design to build a 2 X 12 Cab for my Peavey Renown amp because the width of the cab seems to match it pretty well.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 17-09-2016 at 09:36 PM.

Hmmm may need to advance the plans for my XF212 cab.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Here's a tip:

To make it easier to transport your new Speaker Cab short distances, consider installing a set of Casters on the bottom of it, and a couple of carrying handles on the sides, saves hurting your back, which is not a fun thing to do, believe me, you can buy Casters from your local Big Green Shed (i.e. Bunnings), I tend to use the grey coloured ones that have an integral braking-lever system, works a treat.

These are similar to the ones I installed on my Marshall amp, you need four of them:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ambassad...astor_p3940241

While at your local Big Green Shed, also buy a pack of 8G X 20mm Timber screws, these are perfect for attaching your new Casters to your Speaker Cab, they work a treat.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 18-09-2016 at 06:14 PM.

My favorite place for cab plans is the Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design website:

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

Designs go from fairly simple (Simplex cabs) to fairly difficult (DR cabs).

It was actually the help that I got from the forum associated with that site that lead me here. When I decided to try to build a kit guitar, I wanted the same sort of help that I got from that site. The help there is phenomenal, and it does not hurt that the owner is a bonafide audio engineer.

My main cab for Bass is one of his DR250's. It's one of the hardest to build, but it's a fantastic cab. It's as loud as an average 4x10, but weights 20 lbs less than a G&K Neo.

When I play outside and want extra oomph I pair it with one of his Titan 39 subwoofers. That gives me similar output to an Ampeg 8x10. The difference is that I can carry both cabs. With my back I'd need a forklift for the Ampeg cab.

Still questing for the lightest gig-able bass cabs...I have plans and plywood to build a couple of his Jack 12-Light cabs. These use thin plywood and aircraft bracing for stiffness. They should be louder than most 112 cabs, and weigh in at 20 lbs.

I have been really impressed by these cabs. I started building them because I wanted light and loud, and figured I could EQ to get the sound I wanted... But the reality is that I really like the way they sound.

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    My favorite place for cab plans is the Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design website:

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

Still questing for the lightest gig-able bass cabs...I have plans and plywood to build a couple of his Jack 12-Light cabs. These use thin plywood and aircraft bracing for stiffness. They should be louder than most 112 cabs, and weigh in at 20 lbs.
    I've got a Jack 210 home-made cab that I bought, sight unseen, from a friend. My experience of 2x10" cabs was that they are fairly compact but this is a big beast. It's got a piezo tweeter in, which helps even out the sound as it is quite heavy in the mids. Couple of 300W Eminences in it, so it's capable of handling loads of output. I'm thinking of cutting it down to a 1x10", to save weight and storage space (I only bought it so the bass player in the band had something to play through if we held a 'working out songs' rehearsal at my place. I think it was rather over-engineered on the woodwork side, with thick plastic corner/edge protectors from an H&H cab. Though over-enginering can sometimes pay sonic dividends. A friend of mine had a 4x10" cab made from 25mm ply, with lots of internal bracing to stop any resonances and it sounds awesome, if almost impossible to move.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast