Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chuck's "Ricken-Ripper" mash-up build!

Chuck's "Ricken-Ripper" mash-up build!

Okay, another one! This one has been around for quite a while. I started making it after my first ever build about six years ago but somehow got busy and never finished.

The body is modelled on a Rickenbacker 4001. The thing is, I’ve never like the upper rear bout of that shape, so I rounded it off in my version – it’s kind of a cross between a Rick front end and a Gibson Ripper backend! It’s made from two pieces of rock maple (front and back) with a pine (yep, pine!) core. The idea was that a fully solid maple body would have weighed a ton, but this way I was able to rout out a fair chunk of pine in the middle to keep it light. I bought the MM-style pickup so long ago I can’t remember what it is, and originally I was thinking about a mini pickguard...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Original idea.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	13691

... but then I made a maple cover for it and decided I wanted to do away with knobs entirely and wire the pickup directly to the jack (I may need to experiment with capacitors to avoid it being too hot but this will be a simple one indeed!). I also have a Mighty Mite maple J-bass neck for it. And that’s where I kinda stopped.

Name:	Pickup cover.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	13692

Yesterday I got cracking again - it was a building kinda day. First step was to take all the tools out on to the deck and to get the neck on.

Name:	A building kind of day.jpeg 
Views:	184 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	13693

I need to do a bit of fixing around the neck pocket – it’s a fraction wide so I’ll glue in some shims and then sand back to fit but I decided to forge ahead and screw it in place so I could I drill and mount the bridge. I also needed to do a bit of work around the heel to make the shape flow a bit better. With that done I set to routing the pickup cavity. I made a template and measured things up.

Name:	Template making.jpeg 
Views:	178 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	13694

It worked really nicely – given I haven’t used the router in anger for a while. I also drilled a hole to connect a ground for the bridge - although I had to do it twice as I screwed up the first time!

Name:	Routed.jpeg 
Views:	168 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	13695
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #6 N1R "Semi-scratch" build
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project
    The Magnificent Compañeros

The final bit of woodworking was to drill a jack hole. I couldn't remember where the cavities were but I know now! I hit one with the first part of drilling and then switched to a smaller drill bit to get to the pickup cavity. It might take a bit of work to get the wiring to find it's way through when I get to that stage, but we'll see what happens.

Name:	Jack hole.jpeg 
Views:	163 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	13696

So with all the woodworking done I set to sanding… and sanding… and sanding… going from 60 to 120 to 240 to 320 to 400! At that point I did a Timbermate fill, let it dry, and then sanded back with 400. I’m going Tru-oil with this one but using a different approach to previous efforts (it does seem there are many ways to achieve a result with Tru-oil – it seems to be pretty forgiving!). I got some 400 grit and dipped it in some Tru-oil and slowly started applying it.

Name:	Tru Oil starts.jpeg 
Views:	165 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	13697

And that’s where I finished the day. Next step will be to using 800 grit with the same approach, and then 1200. I’ll see how it’s looking then before working out what to do next!
    Completed Builds: #1 TL-1 "Telemaster" (GOTM Oct 2016); #2 The "Maplecaster" scratch build; #3 JB-4 "Bass IV" (co-winner GOTM Jan 2017); #4 ST-1M "Surfcaster" (GOTM Apr 2017), #5 JZA-1 "EC Deluxe"

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

Overlord of Music
    Plug and play, I like it.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Keep it clean and simple, nice! Great work Chuck.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Over the past couple of weeks I kept going with tru-oil to the point where I was happy with the finish – probably about 10-12 coats. I then went back to finishing up the Telemaster build, which was good in that it gave the tru-oil some good curing time. Once I went back to it I first wet-sanded it very lightly with some 2000 grit and then went to work with Meguiers cutting compound and swirl remover and ended up with a nice shine. It’s not exactly mirror like, but close enough.

With everything ready to roll for assembly I put the logo on the headstock (I decided to call it the "Maplecaster"), and mounted up the tuners and bridge. I had to shave the pickup cover down a bit to get it to fit and cut away a couple of sections to let it sit nicely in the pickup cavity. I did the very simple wiring – remember, this is pickup direct to output jack – and nervously plugged it in. All I can say is wow! There’s a really great raw sound to it, especially as I put roundwound strings on it (Every other bass I own has flatwounds). It’s really bright and punchy. The only downside is that it still weighs a fair bit so I reckon it’ll be a studio/seated-only kind of instrument – in fact I probably won’t even put strap buttons on it!

Name:	Front 021016.jpeg 
Views:	161 
Size:	339.2 KB 
ID:	14364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back 021016.jpeg 
Size:	352.5 KB 
ID:	14365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headstock 021016.jpeg 
Views:	181 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	14366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Body 021016.jpeg 
Size:	518.6 KB 
ID:	14367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finished body 021016.jpeg 
Views:	154 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	14368

In Progress:
    Build #7 JZA-1 Baritone

The Cavan Project

6. Liked by: wazkelly

wow sweet and clean. Very nice

now THAT is minimalist!
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Like it. Simple and clean and visually pleasing

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Very nice, mapley goodness.
    Scott.

Love it!! That is such a good idea, and you could use a volume pedal if you find some sort of control is warranted - nice work!!
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast