Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help - problem with stain

Help - problem with stain

Hi DB, got a problem I hope you can help with. I have bought some stained from Wudtone in the UK, which arrived as a base coat, deep colour coat and a top coat. The colour is azure lagoon, which according to Wudtone goes from turquoise for blue the more coats you apply. I have applied 2 base coats and 5 deep colour coats and it is still green. I have contacted Wudtone who say that the base coat should go on last, before the top coat - which makes no sense to me. They seem unable to offer any further help. Have you got any suggestions as to how I can remedy the situation please, as I am trying to achieve a colour similar to your Bondi blue.

Cheers
    Alan

Hi Alan, the last batch of azure lagoon I used (this was 2 or more years ago) was more green than blue, even the first batch I used the colour is more green than blue now (yes the colour has faded over time). I heard stories Wudtone used less dye in their stains to cut costs. I wouldn't go near it with a bargepole. They had a sour parting with PBG.
    If you are after a more blue colour I would look at other dyes or stains that are hopefully compatible. You may have to sand some of the wudtone off.
    You can see in the support that Wudtone have given you they don't care since they have your money. It's a pity I presume you can't get Dingotone shipped to where you are, are you in UK ?
    Some of my other builds using wudtone have faded over time, especially the purple stain. DB will never reply this post as he is too disgusted with the treatment PBG got from them
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 02-09-2016 at 09:38 AM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Hi Alan.
    There are a few things with that particular finish that I shall not name to take into account.
    Firstly, as Woks pointed out, the finish in question has been made as cheaply as possible and the end result is a very watery colour.
    Then add to this the colour will be influenced by the timber. If you have a Basswood body it will tend to turn the blue to green due to the timber already having a greenish yellow tint.
    Another problem that they wont tell you about is if you use the "ageing" final coat, this too will turn the blue to green due to the yellow pigmentation in this so called ageing final coat.
    And yes, the product description is as clear as mud... you aren't the first and won't be the last to get them mixed up. Woks will attest to this

My only suggestion is to rip them a new opening and make a huge fuss. The very least they should do is send you a replacement kit and clear instructions on the correct application methods.
    Sorry you have not had decent help from them, but it doesn't surprise me at all as the guy is a total tosser, numpty and a massive muppet.

The veiws and opinions voiced in this post are my personal views, and in no way are linked to PBG management.
    Last edited by dingobass; 02-09-2016 at 12:14 PM.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Haha well said DB
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

seriously...you are supposed to put BASE coat last? That sounds so wrong as to be almost malicious.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Yhep.. it takes a very special type of special to come up with that kind of arse about product description.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote Originally Posted by dingobass View Post
    Hi Alan.
    There are a few things with that particular finish that I shall not name to take into account.
    Firstly, as Woks pointed out, the finish in question has been made as cheaply as possible and the end result is a very watery colour.
    Then add to this the colour will be influenced by the timber. If you have a Basswood body it will tend to turn the blue to green due to the timber already having a greenish yellow tint.
    Another problem that they wont tell you about is if you use the "ageing" final coat, this too will turn the blue to green due to the yellow pigmentation in this so called ageing final coat.
    And yes, the product description is as clear as mud... you aren't the first and won't be the last to get them mixed up. Woks will attest to this

My only suggestion is to rip them a new opening and make a huge fuss. The very least they should do is send you a replacement kit and clear instructions on the correct application methods.
    Sorry you have not had decent help from them, but it doesn't surprise me at all as the guy is a total tosser, numpty and a massive muppet.

The veiws and opinions voiced in this post are my personal views, and in no way are linked to PBG management.
    Hey DB thanks for clearing something that had me stumped regards the Blue turning green found that to be my recent experince but but didnt know why...
    Current Builds.

TL Quited Maple.

Hi Alan, sorry to hear about the bad Wudtone experience.

A cheap and simple solution might be to use inkjet ink as DT is not an option for people living outside Australia. Check out my Tele in the link in my signature to see if that is more like the colour you are after.

DB is right in that Basswood does have a rather greenish tinge lurking in the background and that came to the fore on the back of the Tele which doesn't bother me one bit.
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Thanks everyone for your comments. My first reaction is to cut my losses and kick wudtone into touch. I don't think it's even worth trying to get a new set of stain out of them if it's going to fade in time anyway. I might as well try and find some other supplier, sand this stuff off and start again. All in the learning curve I guess. Watch this space - will let you know how it devolops.

Hey Wazkelly, is it the dark blue tele you're showing me. Love the colour - wouldn't mind knowing how you do it with inkjet ink ! !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast