Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Christodav's MM-1 Custom Order

Christodav's MM-1 Custom Order

It hasn't quite arrived as yet, but it's hopefully 2-3 weeks away, just in time for Christmas with a bit of luck.
    This will be my third guitar and I hope this will be be my best. I have gone with a rosewood fingerboard instead of the maple, a fixed Babicz bridge and I am thinking chrome humbuckers with coil splits, 3-way switch and volume and tone.
    It has been ordered with cream binding and a spalted maple top.
    The interesting part of the build will be the finish. I plan to use stain and the 'clear' will be superglue. Yes, SUPERGLUE.
    I have done a fair bit of research and I have decided to try GluBoost as a finish. It is quick and easy to apply and should sit well with the spalted maple top.

I am aiming for a result like this.

The thing that I have to work out is the stain colour for the top as the glue is very clear and won't offer a yellowing effect like oil or lacquer.

Anyway, the waiting game continues...

Chris

Overlord of Music
    Just watched a video on superglue finishing the other night. Sounds like an interesting and quick technique!
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

I have already bought the GluBoost, is is sitting in my fridge. I am intrigued to see if it is as easy to use as it seems in the videos I have watched.

Chris

Sounds intriguing, this will be one to watch.
    Fender electric Fat Strat mim. (Bought)
    Maton Electric Acoustic EM325C
    Pitbull Guitars ST-1 ( finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5970
    Pitbull Guitars SG-2 ( Finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6124

Pitbull Guitars JM-1 (Finished. 2018 June GOTM))http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7150
    Pitbull Guitars TL-1 (In production) [url]https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8676

Not long now!

Just in time for Christmas by the skin of it's teeth.

I also got some of the electronicals. (I purchased this from elsewhere, so I hope Adam doesn't mind me posting a picture?) I did get everything else from Pitbull so far. I am further exploring neck mounting ideas right now and I plan on using threaded inserts and ferrules instead of a neck plate which I am yet to purchase.

I am considering actually filming and uploading this build to show the world. We'll see.
    Tomorrow I'll post some pictures of the kit once I have received it. FUN TIMES!

Also, I have a question. I picked up a single push/push tone switch to split the humbuckers, but now I am considering a second switch so I can achieve even more tone variations by having the ability to split them individually. What do you think?

Chris
    Last edited by christodav; 21-12-2017 at 03:55 PM.

I usually use 2 push pulls so each humbucker can be split individually, not much extra cost so why not?
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

LOL Dedman, I just didn't think of it at the time. but that's probably what I'll end up doing.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by christodav View Post

Just in time for Christmas by the skin of it's teeth.

I also got some of the electronicals. (I purchased this from elsewhere, so I hope Adam doesn't mind me posting a picture?) I did get everything else from Pitbull so far. I am further exploring neck mounting ideas right now and I plan on using threaded inserts and ferrules instead of a neck plate which I am yet to purchase.

I am considering actually filming and uploading this build to show the world. We'll see.
    Tomorrow I'll post some pictures of the kit once I have received it. FUN TIMES!

Also, I have a question. I picked up a single push/push tone switch to split the humbuckers, but now I am considering a second switch so I can achieve even more tone variations by having the ability to split them individually. What do you think?

Chris
    Inserts like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4353.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	23754  

Yes Joe, and also Ferrules into the body instead of the neck plate and take a angle cut off the edge of the body and bring one of the holes in a bit. Similar to this maybe but then with the inserts?
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...?t=2469&page=3

It's a bit of work with little gain, but I like the challenge and the look of it having the detail instead of a simple kit build this time around. also this time around with this bridge, I need to do string ferrules anyway, so that will be a slight challenge in it'self anyway.

Chris

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast