Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DIY Custom FX Pedal Board

16 pedals! Have you got a booster to combat signal loss? You will need a couple of power supplies as well.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Hey Doc the pedals look tight on the board in the photo, you will need space for the jack leads each side of the pedals. Does the 16 pedals you say that fit allow for the leads ?
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Overlord of Music
    Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    16 pedals! Have you got a booster to combat signal loss? You will need a couple of power supplies as well.
    I thought you only needed a booster if they're all true bypass. Surely the Boss pedals and the fuzzface should buffer the signal enough if they're spread throughout the chain.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    Yep, you're right, I'm going to have to buy a second DC Brick Power Supply since there's only 8X 9V DC outs and 2X 18V DC outs on one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Hey Doc the pedals look tight on the board in the photo, you will need space for the jack leads each side of the pedals. Does the 16 pedals you say that fit allow for the leads ?

I'm pretty sure that there's enough space left for jack leads, I'm actually not going to be using all those pedals on the board once I've got it properly set up, I was mostly interested in seeing how many pedals I could fit on it when I took that pic.

Quote Originally Posted by pablopepper View Post
    I thought you only needed a booster if they're all true bypass. Surely the Boss pedals and the fuzzface should buffer the signal enough if they're spread throughout the chain.

Most of those pedals do have buffers in them, there are a few, including the Fuzz Face, which are true-bypass pedals, and to be honest I haven't really had much issues with signal loss with any of my True Bypass pedals at all, mostly because of the footswitching that takes the pedal completely out of my signal-chain.

Update:

I'm going to start wiring-up the new Custom Pedalboard shortly so I can try out my FX-pedal Chain plan with my Marshall amp, I've got a mate coming over for a jam and to test-out his Peavey Triumph amp which I fixed up for him, hope he likes how it's sounding now, the amp was stuck on it's Ultra Gain channel because a fuse had blown, preventing the channel-switching circuitry from operating correctly, I replaced some 1N4148 Silicon Diodes with some 1N4007 Silicon Diodes, which seems to have fixed things so the amp operates normally again.

Update:

Just been doing some re-arranging of the pedals on my Pedalboard and have decided to add my Axis Fuzz and Octavia pedals to it, working out what pedals to include on your Pedalboard is basically a process of elimination, you work out what kinds of sounds you want to get and you then work out what pedals will get the types of sounds you're after, in my case, I'm interested in getting a range of sounds from Cleans, to Effected-Cleans, Bluesy-Crunches, Low-gain Overdrives, Fuzz-Tones (for doing stuff like Jimi Hendrix), and Metal sounds, I think I can get all that with the pedals I'm going to use, once it's all sorted I'll let you guys know what my pedal-chain is, and you can feel free to comment on it if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    I managed to fit about 8 or 9 pedals on the board when I was trying it for size, including the power supply for them too.
    As we soon found out, that was not the case Couldn't just angle it all up a tad extra and sit the power supply underneath with holes coming through for power cables? Would definitely give a very clean look and also allow for better positioning of the pedals!

Quote Originally Posted by keloooe View Post
    As we soon found out, that was not the case Couldn't just angle it all up a tad extra and sit the power supply underneath with holes coming through for power cables? Would definitely give a very clean look and also allow for better positioning of the pedals!

That's true, so far I have been able to get a clean look by routing the power-cables in a logical way, also positioning the pedals logically on the board has freed up some board real estate so that I can add some of my vintage-style pedals, here's a pic of how I currently have my pedals positioned on the board:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Current Layout_resized.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	13854

The pedal directly below my Red Fuzz Face is my Axis Fuzz, and the pedal to the right of the Axis Fuzz is my Octavia pedal, the light-blue pedal to the right of the Fuzz Face is my Rangemaster Vintage Treble-Booster pedal, I'm going to be adding a DIY Custom-built FX Looper pedal which I will be positioning in that vacant space just below the Tonebone Hot British pedal, this will switch between two separate signal-paths one of which will be called Vintage and will have all my vintage-style pedals, the other will be called Modern and will have the Boss Compressor/Sustainer, and Pitchblack+ Tuner, the output of the FX Looper will be routed to the Wah pedal, and then the signal will go through the rest of the pedal chain.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 13-09-2016 at 11:40 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast