Thread: pickup rings for an archtop

pickup rings for an archtop

I need to make some pickup rings for an artchtop. I am using Dano pickups on an arch top that was routed for standard HBs. To get an idea about the fit, to make sure my router template worked, and to have a ballpark idea about what it would look like, I made a mock cover from 1/4" balsa wood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	danos_mounted.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	13362

For the most part, I am happy with the test piece but for the fact that it has a flat bottom. I need to round the bottom to fit the arch in the top. Best way I have thought of to do this is the way Dan Erlewine does it here:

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online...ccurately.html

I don't have the fancy machine he does. (Funny how he always manages to use a tool or two that can only be purchased from Stew Mac). But I am thinking that if I go slowly and carefully this approach could work. Of course I may be too old to care by the time I get it done... Any other thoughts about how this could be done? I have seen folks use a bandsaw, but I don't have access to one...

Thanks!

Grab a chunk of adhesive sand paper, stick it on the top and use the tops profile to sand the curve.
    I do this with every arch top pup ring as they just don't sit right otherwise.

Thanks DB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk