Thread: Set neck question(s)

Set neck question(s)

Hi All,

My GR-1SF kit arrived yesterday, and as I'm sure everyone does, I tried to slot the neck in to get an idea of how it would look together and check the alignment.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit.... At first I tried to slide it in from the front of the body cavity, but quickly found that the neck is about 2 mm wider at the back than the front of the body cavity slot. Eventually I figured out that it appears to be ever so slightly tapered and tried slotting it in by putting the end of the neck in the neck pickup slot and slowly working it down to try and get it to go in and line up with the body. It got about a third of the way there and wouldn't go any further. I did not want to put any force on it, so I'm just wondering if I'm going to need to do any sanding/shaving of the wood to get it to fit.

How tight should it be? It is pretty damn tight. I don't (and didn't) want to put much more force on it in case something cracks. When the time comes, will the application of glue lube it up somewhat and make it go in?

I notice that the base of the body cavity neck slot is really rough, and the sides are a bit rough too (by comparison with the body, which is quite smooth). Does the neck slot need to be rough to afford more purchase for the glue to stick to?

It would appear from the markings on the body and neck that they're matched - the body wrapper had "9" written on it, and the neck has a "9" in pencil on the back, so I'm guessing they're matching marks. But then again, it just could be the day they were made, or assembled by mister 9 - anybody got any ideas?

Will take some photos and more precise measurements as soon as I can, and will post in a build diary.

Until then, any other suggestions most welcome.

Cheers,

Pete

Overlord of Music
    Hi Pete, the numbers mean they have been matched, but wood expands and contracts at different rates after it has been milled. The neck is supposed to taper slightly. You will probably have to fine tune the neck pocket with a file to get a perfect fit. Don't force it for now, that might cause cracks.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

I'm not sure but I usually put the not fitting down to variations in humidity that the guitar has experienced...China...in the hold of either a plane or ship....Western Aus....and now QLD. If you need to make adjustments do it very slowly and carefully with sand paper with lots of test fits. I'm going to fit the neck on my ES-5 today, it drops in from the top, very tight, I can pick the guitar up by the neck with no glue
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

these guys are right, time for gentle sanding

as for how tight - firm press fit, you should be able to hold up the neck with the body attached and not have it fall off

Thanks guys for the replies, I appreciate it. First time kit build and I didn't know what to expect. Seems like it should fit a little better than it does from what I can gather from other posts and your answers.

I understand that wood expands and contracts depending on the humidity, weather, and all sorts of factors, but this one seems just a fraction too tight. Nevertheless I will have a better go at fitting it on the weekend and take some photos along the way.

Dedman, I found your build diary for your ES-5V... I can't get my neck to slot in like that first pic of yours. So I guess it will need some gentle sanding and persuasion.

Will start a build diary once I get some photos.

Cheers,

Pete