Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fred's SG 3 Pickups

Fred's SG 3 Pickups

So, it'a time to start planning the next build for me!
    I ordered through Adam a custom kit, an SG with 3 pickups, with mahogany body and neck...
    I received it some time ago, but was busy with other builds.

Here are the pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160814_115133.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	514.8 KB 
ID:	13136
    and
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160814_115149.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	515.9 KB 
ID:	13137

For the finish I was thinking a purple burst, potentially reversed burst (darker in the middle).
    I saw DB's photo of the upcoming new Dingotone colour 'Atherton Amethyst' and I am thinking that's going to be it, with DT black stump for the burst!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...6&d=1470049659

On the hardware side, I'm planning gold as I like the bling.
    I've already got a gold bridge Tune O Matic (thanks Adam). I need to find tuners, knobs, etc.

On the pickup side, I'm still debating... most people recognise that having 3 x humbucker doesn't add much compared to 2. So I'm thinking I'll go with Tonerider humbuckers for neck and bridge, and a Rebel 90 for the middle.
    I've seen a photo of an SG 3 with a Phat Cat in the middle position and it just looks perfect as it's got the screws in the middle!

What would you guys recommend for the humbuckers? I'm thinking the Alnico II could complement the P90?
    For the Rebel I'm thinking I'll get a neck one as the bridge could be too trebly. Any comments or recommendations?

And last, but not least, I didn't know what to do with the switching, Single coil, side of tings, so I got a pair of SD Triple Shots for the humbuckers, and I'm thinking I'm going to get one of those 6 way ultraswitch. THey look like the std 3 ways on SG/LP, but have 6 positions.

So, still some thinking to do, like how many volumes, tones, etc.
    But very excited!
    #1- STA1M - Completed Jan16 - GOTM Feb16 - Here
    #2- IB5 - Completed Aug16 - Here
    #3- 335 style 12 strings - 3rd build - Almost done - Here
    No #- SG1 'Franck Zappa' - Completed Apr16 for a friend - No build diary (yet?)
    #4- 'The Red Plywood Strat' - Completed Aug16 - Here
    #5- ST-1JR Star Wars - Completed Dec16 - Here
    #6- SG 3 pickups - Almost done - Here
    #7- JBA-4M JPJ Bass - Completed Mar18 - Here

My Gretsch has 3 humbuckers, it has 3 volumes and a tone pot (plus a master volume that I tend to leave on full and adjust the others), for switching it has a typical neck/both/bridge 3 way then a second switch that just does on/off for the middle one. Not sure if you have the space for extra switch there but you could probably use a push pull on one of the pots....that's a question for Weirdy
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

A Freeway Ultra 6-way (expensive) would work, or you could add a second toggle switch hole and use two standard 3-way togggles. That would give you all the pickup options, but probably be more robust and a lot cheaper than using a Freeway.

The other thing to think about is the pots. You've got four holes for the standard 2 Vol 2 Tone, but now with three pups you'll have to decide what you want. Maybe 3 Vol and Master Tone, but it'll depend on your switching options and how you think you'll use them, or you could do something simpler if you're willing to plug up/modify holes etc.
    Scott.

4. Liked by: Hobastard

I've thought about using 2x 3 ways, but I'd like to avoid adding any visible switches, appart from the Triple Shots but you can't really see the switches on them as they are very small and black on black.

I've also thought of using a 3 way for neck/bridge with standard wiring, and add 1x blend pot to blend the P90 with the HBs...
    But I'm thinking it will be easier too switch between option with a Freeway. Have you used them before?

Agree for the controls. I'm thinking I'll set it up with 1x vol for each pup and 1 x master tone.

I want to keep a clear finish as the mahogany is quite nice so no plugging and patching! :-)

With the Freeway I think I can use the standard one and don't need the Ultra. It looks like I can get the combinations I want from it based on wiring diagram.

Stewmac have it in gold... bling!

Yep, the standard Freeway should be fine (from memory, double-check on the PDF's for the layout you want), you should only need the Ultra if you want to do things like series/parallel as it has more flexibility for connections. Some of the early Freeway's had a few complaints about fragility, but I think got that sorted long ago.
    Scott.

Really nice kit Fred! Looking forward to seeing your build develop.

cheers,
    Gavin.
    --
    Build #01: BC-1
    Build #02: ST-1
    Build #03: JR-1DC
    Build #04: ES-2V
    Build #05: ESB-4 (GOTM July 2014)
    Build #06: RC-1
    Build #07: MK-2
    Build #08: TLA-1
    Build #09: JR-1DC
    Build #0A: LPA-1
    Build #0B: STA-1 (GOTM April 2015)
    Build #0C: MKA-2
    Build #0D: LP-1M
    Build #0E: JB-1
    Build #0F: FS-1

Find me:
    https://www.facebook.com/firescreek.guitars/
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by FredA View Post
    I've thought about using 2x 3 ways, but I'd like to avoid adding any visible switches, appart from the Triple Shots but you can't really see the switches on them as they are very small and black on black.

I've also thought of using a 3 way for neck/bridge with standard wiring, and add 1x blend pot to blend the P90 with the HBs...
    But I'm thinking it will be easier too switch between option with a Freeway. Have you used them before?

Agree for the controls. I'm thinking I'll set it up with 1x vol for each pup and 1 x master tone.

I want to keep a clear finish as the mahogany is quite nice so no plugging and patching! :-)
    Nice kit, will keep a close eye on this one as i want to add switching options to my SG-2 and theres not too much room for adding extra switches so i might borrow a few ideas if thats ok. cheers
    Fender electric Fat Strat mim. (Bought)
    Maton Electric Acoustic EM325C
    Pitbull Guitars ST-1 ( finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5970
    Pitbull Guitars SG-2 ( Finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6124

Pitbull Guitars JM-1 (Finished. 2018 June GOTM))http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7150
    Pitbull Guitars TL-1 (In production) [url]https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8676

Ahhh Fred so much GAS. just finished one build into another! Lovin' the custom kit.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB