Thread: Binding

Binding

Quick question all, just started sanding today so got a way to go yet. What do you about the banding - trying not to catch it to much whilst sanding and scratch it. What about when I start staining, should I mask it or does it clean off of afterwards ? Thanks.

Overlord of Music
    Sanding on the binding is fine, obviously try not to go to hard, but sand as part of the body. Some folk like to mask off the binding, I find it to be more trouble than it's worth because the stain will likely leach under the masking and you'll have to scrape it off anyway. Scraping binding can be a little frightening, but with a slow and (semi) steady hand it's really not that hard.

EDIT: Just realised what section this is under! Sorry DB.
    Last edited by pablopepper; 12-08-2016 at 06:12 AM.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Straight to the Naughty Warehouse, Pabs!

Anyhoo, wot Pabs sed is on the money......

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Overlord of Music
    Already there, mate

'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Thanks Guys, that's great, gives me a better idea where I'm heading

Hi Alan, If you look on You Tube you will can find a vid on the Gibson Factory, goes about 20 mins, at one point after the guitars come from the staining/painting area you see one of the workers scrape the binding, the dont mask it.

BUT one word of warning, I have scaped the binding only too find the Blade slip and scatch the freashly painted and cured surface!!!!. Result sand back. respray!!! Mask off the Front of the body when scraping if you are worried you will slip.
    Current Builds.

TL Quited Maple.

Great, thanks for that. I think I'll go for that after looking at the video. Seems straightforward enough - if I'm careful ! !

Yhep. Been there, done that one Badg....
    Great advice BTW.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....