Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TLB-4 becoming world's 1st Drakensteyn Telemaster Bass

Smile TLB-4 becoming world's 1st Drakensteyn Telemaster Bass

Hey guys,

I've been dreaming about this for many years, now with another baby on the way and limited time to play bass in the evening, I decided to buy a kit for the perfect stay-at-home nights.

I wanted a telecaster bass, rare on it's own, but Pitbull had one.

Although this is my first build, and this kit is recommended for advanced builders, with degrees in Electrical Engineering and Microfabrication (MEMS manufacturing) in my pocket I'll just go for it. No gut's no glory and with dedication, patience, persistence and your help, success will be unavoidable

Design: Sonic blue nitro finish, matching headstock, oiled neck.
    Original Fender Cabronita humbucker at the edge of the pickguard, a 4-conductor MM humbucker closer to the bridge and most likely a 51' single coil close to the neck in the standard tele (guitar) position. Exact electrical wiring connections tbd, will prototype and select the best sounds/combinations to hook up to the new 5-way switch. Will add a stacked 2-band active @ tone position. I might replace the pickguard by a custom one, we'll see (3-ply white pearloid material ordered and got access to a professional laser cutter). Custom Decal (Dutch know who lived @ Drakensteyn), old school j-bass bridge cover and straplocks to finish it off.

Got the kit and most parts, still waiting for the '51 SC pickup, vintage style round jack plate, battery compartment, but got all sanding paper, nitro finish (base, color, transparent) from a local dutch supplier.

1st job: the mock-up build....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drakensteyn_Telemaster_Bass.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	12727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st arrival.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	404.1 KB 
ID:	12728  

Sounds great - also sounds like the electrical side should be pretty straightforward for you Alfons. Great start - keen to see how you progress.

What sort of '51 single coil are you waiting on? I must admit - I've looked at this kit more than once and have held off based on wanting to go with a '51 P Bass pickup.

welcome to the forum Alfons, love your plans for the build. 3 pickups and 5 way switch will give you plenty of sound variety. Love the sonic blue will look unreal. Hope you have access to a router to route the pickup cavities ?
    Ask any questions you have and good luck with the build !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

wow! I'm liking your plans a lot!
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Hi Brendan,

couple of options for the '51 pickup:
    Fender original replacement, the Squier classic vibes replacement, and 3 flavors of Seymour Duncan's: SCP1-B, SCPB-2 and SCPB-3-quarterpound. There are others most likely out there, but beyond my budget. These were the only I could find for a small budget.

I ordered the Squier, can replace it later, but I think the position will be way more influencing the sound than exact type so first experiment with that.

For the electronics I'll go for a pretty standard and affordable Artec SE-2A.

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. This bass is going to be awesome

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Cool build, welcome and enjoy

Thanks for all responses guys! Much appreciated!

Mock-up build #1 fitting the neck

Straight out of the box, the neck just fitted (not) in the pocket: fraction too wide and can't get it all the way in:
    wood at the lower corner pocket seriously stretched after some force. Also the the corner radius of the neck and pocket don't match.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-22 19.41.10.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	336.9 KB 
ID:	12748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-22 20.23.23.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	345.1 KB 
ID:	12749

As this body has no holes for the bridge yet (I checked the 4 point neck alignment tutorial), I decided to sand down the neck at the lower end a little for a comfortable fit and aligned along the long pocket edge. Tried to get is as far in as possible, now at a gap of ~0.5mm.

Name:	2016-07-23 22.15.20.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	445.0 KB 
ID:	12750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-23 22.15.41.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	307.0 KB 
ID:	12751
    Should I continue to get a 100% fit or is a little gap at neck edge OK tonewise? I mean, 90%+ of the contact area is at the bottom anyway and I don't want to risk sanding it too much making it loose...

For alignment, I measured the body width at the widest part, put a little pencil marker half way. A thin wire in the dead center of the neck across all dots nicely lines up with the mark with the neck fully in and pushed towards the long/top side of the pocket. So, time to start drilling the holes in the neck and use this midpoint as the center for the bridge and pickups.

Name:	2016-07-23 22.13.47.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	12752
    For the neck plate, in the instruction video the black rubber thing is used as well. I would put the metal plate directly on the wood like for real Fenders. Any thoughts on this?

Looking good mate, just remember depending on what finish you are going for it may add some buildup thickness on the neck and pocket.

Question

Mockup build #2: install tuners and attach the neck

Tonight got the tuners on, aligned them 1 by one, predrilled 1.0mm and later up to 1.5mm.
    Fit will although lining them up was a little tricky as the bushings are about 1mm wide so centering needs to be done by gut feel. Worked out good enough and no screws broke off..

Name:	2016-07-26 21.58.53.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	574.0 KB 
ID:	12786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-26 21.59.09.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	510.8 KB 
ID:	12787

Then sanded the neck a little at the sides, got a comfortable fit, not too much friction.
    Drilled the holes 4.5mm, pretty tight fit, screw just went in, but with the neck on and off a couple of times, should be OK.
    Start to look like a bass, BUT...

Closer look from the front show a slight angle on the neck across the body. It's in the neck pocket, saw it earlier.
    I know I sanded the fret board a little at the edges but it's still there...
    I think I need to sand down the pocket towards the side a little to level it. Or I can leave it as is and compensate for it by adjusting the saddles and pickups, but sounds like a compromise to early.

Name:	2016-07-26 22.00.45.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	315.8 KB 
ID:	12788Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-26 22.01.40.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	271.7 KB 
ID:	12789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-26 22.01.40-2.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	12790
    Any thoughts on this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast