Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TLB-4 becoming world's 1st Drakensteyn Telemaster Bass

Try and work out if the neck pocket isn't flat, or if it's the neck. Gently sand the offender accordingly, it shouldn't need much, go slowly, you'll be fine

Nice buy Alfons. Have been drooling that bass myself. It's a nice canvas to paint your own art on.

I can recommend the SD scpb-3. I put it on my p51 build some time ago and it rocks.

Mockup build #3: mount the bridge, replace the nut, mill the pickup pockets

It's been a while, but a lot happened. With the neck in place, the bridge is mounted to the body. Simply by aligning to the center of the neck and the 2 outer strings for position, at a distance of 34" (864mm) for the G string in max out position.
    Attachment 13463
    Once screwed down, I replaced the standard nut by a cream graphtech version. For that, the slot had to be widened, job done in half an hour of filing with a side only file, increasing the gap towards the head while keeping the depth as equal as possible.

Next, the toughest job till now: milling the pickup pockets.
    Never used a top down mill before, borrowed one from a friend and started testing on some dummy wood. Decided to go for the template route, designed pickups in CAD, added margin for the router guide and got them laser cut out of some PMMA plate (in fact, 2x 5mm to make the required 9mm of the router guide).
    In the design, pickup posititions for the MM Humbucker and 51p-SC are the same as for the original basses, the Cabronita HB is shifted a few mm and fits nicely in between the other two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-08-029.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	500.1 KB 
ID:	13469
    Next, tested in on some spare piece of wood, verified the templates were OK and finally today got time to get them milled out of the body.
    51P and cabronita HB were pretty easy, the MM humbucker required 2 templates (one rectangular and one for the 'ears').

Basswood is pretty nice for someone with marginal wood experience, quite soft (but not too soft), got the job done in a few hours (pretty much the same as aligning masks in microtechnology, my day job :-))

Worked out nice I think, next added some channels for all the wires and made a 4th pocket for the 9V battery for powering the active electronics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collage.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	330.5 KB 
ID:	13465 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collage2.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	13466 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-08-28 20.20.28.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	464.3 KB 
ID:	13467

Furthermore, I designed the electronics, including a new control plate and pickguard. More on that later...

Very happy so far and great joy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-08-28 12.03.33.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	500.1 KB 
ID:	13464  
    Last edited by Alfons.Groenland; 29-08-2016 at 03:21 AM.

wow, you are going to have some interesting sounds available
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

This will be on of my next builds for sure.. looking good and can't wait to see it progress. Nice work so far.

That's one mess of a pickup combo. If it sounds as wild as it looks, I'm stoked to see the end result!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2