Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: August Guitar of the Month Competition (for Guitars and Basses finished in July 2016)

The results are in...

Judges' comments in submission order:

Andrews JBA-4.
    A lot of work gone in here and all of it tastefully executed. The kind of thing that could make me pick up a bass again 0.0 The face of the headstock kinda sticks out, maybe it would have been nicer stained to match the body but I'm only saying that because I can't find anything else negative to say.

Nicely understated lets the timber do the talking.

Ponch you really made the most out of the lovely ash grain and some very tasty upgrades this is a stunner Jazzy. Love the clear frosted pickguard and bonus point for the fretless conversion.

Sweet! Love how the grain has popped and how it has a simple but modern look.

Gorgeous bass. Natural wood tones and fretless – the clear pickguard was an excellent choice.

Tekrytor's RC-1M
    I like the natural timber look on this and that it's not mirror glossy really suits grain, that, combined with the pup upgrade, really gives it that 'geetar whats been played in every honky tonk feel, kinda like a comfy well-worn leather jacket. While I can appreciate the work gone into the pick guard and head stock logo I think that are bit too bling for the rest of the guitar but then maybe if it had been played in every honky tonk it would deserve a bit of glitz.

I like this guitar, nicely personalised.

A classic Ricky build with some nice personal touches and nice upgrades, sure this is a fun axe to play well done. Love the glittery letters on the headstock cover. Nice colour scheme the brown and black work really well on this model kit.

Nice! The personal elements make this one look special.

Worn ash really suits the RC-1M and I love the contrasting pickups. Nice.

Mulldoes EX-1
    I think you've captured metal in just the right form. The finish ....hammered metal...I mean.. perfect body shape for it, the runes and graphics are in good proportion and don't take away from the simplicity. Great choice of mods.

Industrial hardcore workhorse. Great work.

Love the modifications to this EX build. The shark tooth inlays, floating tremolo make this axe look like a real shredder. Not sure if you have done the tremolo routing but it looks nice and clean. Would have liked to see 2 matching Entwistle pickups but maybe this is an upgrade for the future. The paint colour and hammered/textured look not something I'm a big fan of but that's all personal preferences. To me it looks like a primer colour!

I think Battle Axe is a good call for this guitar - the textured paint job give it a real iron look and great effect.

Floyd rose EX-1 – yes please. This thing is made for shredding. It looks the part next to the Marshall stack!

AndrewA's PBG-1

A brave kit to take on with not many built and no precedence but man you nailed. Sneaky keeping a clear shot of the front till the last moment. Good upgrades and mods and the finish really suits the style. An attention grabber for sure.

Well-constructed and finished.

Good to see a PBG-1 entered there aren't enough of these kits built. Well executed stain the black stump suits this shape well and the logos are a nice personal touch. Some nice upgrades too. If it sounds as good as it looks you have a very cool axe !

Very effective and great outcome. I love how the body looks and think the neck complements it.

This build was great to follow and it’s awesome to see an uncommon kit. You’ve really made it a contender against the usual favourites. Love the finish on this one.

Brewhook's ES-3
    Firstly , your video diary was great. You seemed to breeze through the build without too many problems( especially considering the hollow bodies aren't the easiest build) and ended up with a great looking guitar. Nice attention to detail.

Nice work, good choice of colour.

Nice looking build the brown and deep red work pretty well together. Some lovely grain on the back. Small thing you forgot to remove the white stickers off the back of the tuners. You also must have spent some time editing the videos were entertaining. Not sure if the speed dial knobs suit this style of axe. Overall, well done.

Nice job, love the simplicity. Only suggestion would be a small sharp edge along the binding on the "f holes" to clean off the red.

Classic build and classic finish. Hard to fault!

Runner up this Month is AndrewA's PBG-1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Andy40AUg.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	13030

And the winner of our Pit Bull Guitars August 2016 Guitar of the Month is a Bass...

Andrew's JBA-4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Closefront%20Light.JPG 
Views:	781 
Size:	550.3 KB 
ID:	13031

Congratulations to both Andrews and the other 3 entrants this month, it was very tight again. And thank you to our esteemed Judging Panel.

Onwards to September!
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Congratulations Ponch your first GOTM and a deserved one. Congrats to Andrew for runner up. There wasn't much between the scores for all 5 entries. Well done all other entrants. Keep up the good work all you forumites !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Well Done to all extra well done to Ponch and Andrew!
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Congratulations Andrew, a great build that deserves to win. Well done to the other entrants, you should all be proud of what you have built.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    If plan A fails, remember that you still have 25 letters left.

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Thanks judges and everyone. A bit congrats to Andrew and not forgetting the other entrants. My work is done if this bass build inspires anyone else to have a go. I know I'm continuously inspired by other builds. And one the scoreboard for the low enders

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by andrewdosborne; 07-08-2016 at 03:35 PM.
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

6. Liked by: wazkelly

Well done Andrew O on a super classy axe.
    the others all did an awesome job, judging must have been tough

Congrats both Andrew's and all other entrants. Lovely finish on the J Bass plus fretless clearly won over the judges.
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Lovely unique guitar Andrew!

The cut and finish are very fine, as well as those pickups! Very nice work and concept.

Congratulations Andrews!
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Overlord of Music
    Hooray! Congrats Andrew! And Andrew!
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4