Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: June 2016 Guitar of the Month (for Guitars and Basses finished in May 2016)

And the results are in...

Thank you to the Judges, including Guest Judges Andy40, PeterH and Darthdamo.

Here are the Judge's comments (in submission order)

1. Joe Piler's LP-1S

I like that this guitar has a theme. From the headstock image to the detailed neck artwork to the choice of colour and finally it’s name “poison ivy” it shows a lot of thought has gone into this build.
    Nice choice of pups too so I bet it sounds sweet!

Well-built and some nice personal touches.

Great LP - love the green fret dots. Only comment to make is - is there a touch of stain on the binding at the base of the guitar? Could be that or a shadow. If it is stain - a quick go with a scraper like a knife blade should get rid of it.

His love for this build extended from inception to finish. It shines through in almost every aspect of this superb guitar. A commendable first build, love the green inlays and the hand painted look.

This build look pretty cool, however, there are a few details which could have been improved.
    It looks like there is still colour on the binding and, on top of the headstock, there appears to be colour missing. Also, you should have had the truss rod cover installed before taking photos for the competition. I love the green position markers.

An eye catching build with the green stain/dot markers with the maple fretboard and the artwork on the headstock is a nice personal touch. An axe to be proud of, well done. Bonus point for posting a demo video those SD pups sound crisp!

2. Huangmi’s EXA-7

I really like this guitar. It’s a total original and a really great approach to this classic guitar that I and I bet most people have never seen before. Well done. It’s the kind of design that’ll look just as great in 40 years as it does today and will probably reach heirloom status! Nice job!

Wow a work of art, yet still so simple, fantastic.

Carved top is very special! Only issue for me is that the stripes take away from the detail in the carved body. Other than that - stunning.

Way to make an EX stand out even more! fantastic detail in the carving.

This is a great looking build, however, looking at it closer, there are a lot of details that could have been better. Having said that the carving is the stand out for me; a lot of time and effort has gone in to this and it shows, you should be proud.

Amazing job on this build, the carving and burning is very well done with the stripes and matching coloured hardware this is a fine example of a custom build, you have hit the ball out of the park! The only minor fault I could see is no truss rod cover and headstock logo to say you built it!

3. Wayne Mumford's ES-3

This is a ripper guitar! Making my GAS dial turn up to “purchase” is good indication that I like this guitar a lot. Great burst effect and nice classic choice of colour. Neck join looks pretty damn perfect too. My only criticism (and it’s a small one) is I would’ve loved to have seen a headstock decal- but that is totally personal taste and certainly wouldn’t stop me from wanting to pick this up and give it a whirl. Well done Wayne. Stellar effort!

Looks great, nice colour choice, I really like it.

Stunning burst - lots of depth there - looks amazing…

The mahogany burst is very unique. Such a tidy build, looks like she would sing some sweet Jazz tunes. I only wish there was a headstock logo.

This is a nice clean build, it looks like you have put a lot of time in making sure it all looks right. Nice Job.

Another beautiful example of this fine kit, burst is really well executed and the stain colours suit really well. Only minor fault is again no headstock logo.

4. Zeromick's ST1/JM-1 Hybrid

If I didn’t already know that this was a build I would swear that it’s a 30year old guitar that has seen way too many gigs at the Espy in St.Kilda. Great relic-ing job Zeromick. A very cool idea for a build. Great job!

You made this look as if it has been owned and well used for a decade or so. Great work.

Great relic job - only downside is that the fretboard doesn’t show the same wear.

It’s no secret that I am in love with this build. I caught myself admiring the final shots for a long time. More than most. This build is a work of art, it certainly challenged my perceptions about commercial guitar shapes.

This one is a great looking take on a relic guitar and every detail has been covered. However, I'm not sure about the vibrant colour, if you were going for the total relic look. Great job.

Another fantastic Mick hybrid build and the relicing has been done tastefully. A cool mash up of JM and ST this is a fine example how these kits can be fully customised.

5. Apkane’s ST-1 JR

What I love about this guitar is that you built it together with your daughter which is getting me excited about building a guitar for both my kids. What a great project to do for young musicians. I wish I’d had the opportunity to build a guitar with my Dad when I was a boy. The bass has turned out great and is seriously unique! I bet your daughter just loves it!

Fabulous what a great baby Bass.

Funky little bass - love the attention to detail! Looks like exactly what was ordered! One question - was the close up taken before intonation - all the saddles look to be in the same place?

How cool is this Jr Bass! from pick inlays to pink leopard spots and that pearloid guard sets it off.

For a young girl this would be very appealing, however, there are a couple of details that could have put it in a higher level for scoring: The holes on the headstock, which have been plugged, draw too much attention to them. I feel the headstock could have been covered with some veneer which would have made it a cleaner job. The pickups are out of alignment to the strings and the scratch plate at the base of the neck could have been shaped to fit the neck profile. I do like the colour.

great job of the guitar to bass conversion and the colours and paint theme are perfect for a young girl. Nice job of the headstock logo too. Only minor fault is the old tuner hole plugs being visible I would have preferred to see a solid paint or veneered headstock.

6. Dedmans GD-1

I’m impressed by the level of detail in this build. The scratch marks are a cool idea as are the cheesecloth pickup covers and the headstock detail ties the whole look together. As a teenager listening to Canabal Corpse and Slayer this guitar would’ve fit in quite well in my bedroom - I’m afraid though now it would just frighten my wife and kids! Great work Dedman- monstrous axe!

Awesome work well aged it looks as if it was just pulled from the ground.

Dark, brooding and looking great!

Love this guy's style. If you’re going to do a GD build, you go all out! This beast needs a coffin style hardcase.

I love the way every bit of detail has been covered for the theme you were going for, this one would look good in a Mad Max movie. Well done.

Top effort Dedman you really nailed the theme of this coffin shape guitar, haven't seen many of these kits built but this build should inspire others to have a go at building one.

Congratulations to the Runner Up...

Dedman's Macabre GD-1

Nice work Dedman, I think you have definitely maximised the GD-1's potential. Max Gothicness.

And the Winner is....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wayne es-3.jpg 
Views:	789 
Size:	642.7 KB 
ID:	11800

Congratulations Wayne.Mumford, your ES-3 was the Judge's pick for Pit Bull Guitars June 2016 Guitar of the Month.

Spectacular!
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Woot! Thanks gents! Thanks to everyone who gave advice and ideas, it was a fun build. And if you see a coffin case for sale let me know!

Congrats to the other entrants and especially Wayne.
    Last edited by Dedman; 07-06-2016 at 07:38 PM.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

My favorite time of the month again. Congratulations Wayne, Dedman and all the other entrants.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Well done Wayne and all other entrants

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Congratulations Wayne and runner up Dedman. Although there was only six entries it was tight judging them. Some good feedback from the guest judges well done.
    Also well done to all the other entrants
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Congratz to the winner and ty for the kind words i will be takibg the lessons learned from the mistakes made in this first build and make my following builds better.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D6603 met Tapatalk
    Builds:
    WIP: LP-1S "Poison Ivy"

Thanks guys for the win, I wasn't expecting it. Well done to the other builds, especially Dedman,very interesting. Looking forward to doing another one, if I'm allowed ;-D but not till the budget improves.

Congrats Wayne!
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5