Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: NON-PBG - LP Build Diary for DIY Guitars GLP-40BBK

NON-PBG - LP Build Diary for DIY Guitars GLP-40BBK

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate some help as I'm currently in the mock build stage and there is a problem with the scale length. After researching here are my measurements from the middle of the fret board:

Inside of nut(opposite side of headstock) to the middle of the 12th fret = 313mm

12th fret to center of bridge saddle position on body(continuing from center of fretboard) = 320mm

So the neck is 7mm to long for the neck pocket.

The neck is clamped and I havent drilled the missing bolt on holes in the neck yet. Its flush in the neck pocket just to rule out measurement issues with the scale length.

The strings are touching the entire fretboard with the bridge in about the middle of the adjustment range.

Tilting the neck up gently improves this. I believe I need a shim. The intonation guide here on PBG is good from my last build.

Before I do anything I would appreciate some help on my first issue for the scale length?

Cheers Alkay.

I may be wrong, but I think the 2nd measurement is to saddle of the high E rather than the middle of the bridge.

The measurement is critical, since the saddles on tune-o-matics don't have a lot of travel....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Thanks fender3x,

This kit was bought from diy guitars closing down sale. It's a GLP-40 and the scale length on the website says 628mm.

Following the suggestion from fender3x I get this measurement:

From the nut to the high E saddle contact point I do reach 629mm. With the adjustable saddle position being just off centre position.

However the stew mac scale length explanation on their site suggests to measure from the nut to the 12th fret.
    Then from the 12th fret to the bridge contact point.
    Add these two measurements together and that gives the overall scale length.

Nut to 12th fret = 313mm
    12th fret to the bridge contact point = 316mm
    Scale length = 629mm

Can somebody else confirm this please before I drill the bolt on holes in the neck?

Cheers,

Alkay.

Hey Alkay, there is compensation required for the width of the string, so generally the low E string distance 12th fret to saddle will be about 3-5mm longer than nut to 12th fret.
    Clamp the neck in place, wind both E string saddles as far forward as they go and please give me the distance centre of 12th fret to centre of each E string saddle groove?

what is a GLP-40 what shape is this ?

presume this is an F type kit the scale length is 24.75 inches (629mm)
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 19-04-2016 at 02:47 PM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Hi Wokkaboy,

Thanks for your help.

Its a lespaul type shape. I'll attach some photos below.

I wound the E string saddles forward(direction of nut).

Centre of 12th fret to high E saddle groove centre = 315mm

Centre of 12th fret to low E saddle groove centre = 320mm

Bare in mind the saddles on these kits have a taper on the saddles where actual string contact is made. Three are orientated one way and the other three are orientated in the opposite direction.

From the high e, b, g the flat vertical edge faces the nut.

From the low E, A, D the taper is opposite and faces the nut.

I hope that makes sense and if it is abosolutely critical I can measure the exact contact point the strings make on each of the saddles but you did say centre.

So I'll leave that one up to you I'm a newbie at this.

Cheers,

Alkay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	479 
Size:	670.8 KB 
ID:	10673

Name:	2.png 
Views:	424 
Size:	590.2 KB 
ID:	10674

Hi Alkay, damn I mixed my F and G type scales, of course it's a G type scale !
    so is this a bolt on neck ?
    the measurements sound ok, if we take nut to 12th fret as 314mm (half of 628mm scale) I think you should be able to get the bridge intonated.

If there isn't much play in the neck pocket and both E string offsets to the each side of the fingerboard frets look fairly even you might as well drill your neck screw holes.

Usually the screws for the bridge saddle adjustment face the bottom of the guitar so reverse your bridge.

Once you reverse the bridge please re-check those distances. Bit worried that 320mm is a little far for the low E string but you won't find out till its all assembled and tuned.
    I usually measure to the front (nut end) of the bridge saddle as this is the point where the string will vibrate from
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 19-04-2016 at 04:50 PM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Hi Wokkaboy,

Not sure what you are meaning by the F and G type scales?

Yes it's a bolt on neck but the neck heel doesn't have any drill holes(yet, haha).

I will reverse the bridge so the screws face the bottom of the guitar as you suggested but first.

Before measuring do I need to reposition the saddles to the far forward position again like you suggested before, with the high E and low E?

F = Fender G = Gibson

I thought the screws faced the pick up?

Alkay its difficult to re position the saddles once its strung tight, they will need to be loosened.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Hi Andy40,

Yes I thought so too. My last kit(posted on here) had the pickup screws facing the bridge.

I was just following wokkaboy as above but before I do, my question above regarding the saddles being moved forward?

Also to note before I do, On my previous build, the height between the strings and the bridge pickup was enough to put a finger under and was barely audible when plugged in. The neck a bit better. Bridge was quite bad.

Also I just did a quick search and read that the pickup height to the string should be as follows for todays GLP's:

1.6mm for the bridge pickup

2.4mm for the neck pickup

The bridge is currently in approximately the halfway adjustable position on the bridge posts(about 7mm).

I would appreciate some help or if this doesn't matter yet I'll just go with Wokkaboy's advice.

Cheers,

Alkay.

Before measuring do I need to reposition the saddles to the far forward position again like you suggested before with the high E and low E?

Hi guys,

Back to following the instructions. Maybe I was jumping ahead. Just wanted to give more info.

I was waiting on a third hand to help me with clamping the neck again which is done now.

I did the following:

-Bridge is reversed and the screws are facing the bottom of the guitar instead of the nut.

-Clamped neck again. There is about 0.5mm travel on one side of neck pocket closest to feet. All other surfaces a flush.

-Tuned both the high E and low E.

Measurements are as follows after adjusting both saddles forward, towards the nut:

Centre of 12th fret on high E to nut edge of bridge saddle = 314mm

Centre of 12th fret on low E to nut edge of bridge saddle = 319mm

Please tell me some good news hahaha.

Anyway here are a couple of pics.

Cheers,

Alkay.

Name:	3.png 
Views:	464 
Size:	379.5 KB 
ID:	10687