Thread: fretboard crack?

fretboard crack?

DB, Hoping you would comment on this photo from my TL-1 build. It looks like a crack in the fretboard because there are matching lines on both sides of the neck. Unfortunately I didn't notice them before I put the first two coats of TO on.
    Do you thing this will be an issue down the road? I'm worried that the crack will expand towards the surface of the fretboard. Thanks for any advice.

Hi Peter

As for any possible repair, I am afraid not due to the fact the crack will have been flooded with poo oil.

I hate the stuff for this very reason, (and countless others) because it makes the timber impervious to glue so there is no way of repairing any splits, delaminations or cracks in timber that has been treated with poo oil.
    How do I know this?
    Experience...

Anyhoo, rant over...

Send Adam an email so he can arrange a replacement as this clearly looks like a manufacturing fault.

Must admit it is the first time out of over 4k kits sold, I have seen a PBG fretboard do this.....but I can see how it happened.
    If you look at the direction of the grain, you can see that it is 'running out' ie: not parallel.
    Normally with Rock Maple, this would not be an issue but as luck would have it, the fret slot just happened to run through a weak spot that has given way and cracked through. This is known as a delamination type crack.
    This probably wouldnt have been obvious when our packing guru sent the kit, the humidity change from West Aussie to Ontario would be extreme to say the least and the truss rod tension plus fret tang compression would have increased enough to make it open up..

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

unlucky Peter, I'm sure if you get in touch with Adam he can organise a replacement neck.
    I stupidly cracked a fretboard recently by using neck screws from a non PBG kit guitar and they are about 5mm longer than the PBG screws and drove them in the neck and it put a split the fingerboard around 19-21st fret. Lucky it's Chippo's bush chook axe hahha Lesson learnt check neck screw lengths if uncertain !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

You Muppet, Woks.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

sure was an amateur mistake DB, a mate gave me hardware from a Chinese LP and I needed neck screws so I used them without checking the screw length. Was scratching my head why the FB cracked then worked it out. Lucky Chippo has chipolata fingers and would never reach the 21st fret (he can't play anyway) haha but the high frets seem to be seated ok
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160319_120920resized.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	533.2 KB 
ID:	9977  
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Hi Peter, Ill respond to your private message to sort this one out.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com