Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-PBG Mockingbird. From Scratch.

Non-PBG Mockingbird. From Scratch.

Hey guys, so my Krookodile Mockingbird has been chugging along, but as I get closer to completing it (and as I end up having to spend a bit more time waiting on paint drying and less time actually doing things) I realised I wanted to build another guitar, but not even from a kit this time, actually from just materials. Partially because I do want to do everything this time, but also because this way, I can make damn near whatever I want.

So I'm going to start doing a guitar building course in a fortnight (with the Australian Guitar Making School), and I thought I'd document it all here, since there's a good few of you here that seem to love the Mockingbirds too. I'm also starting the diary a little early because I'm excited, have some mockups, but also am open to some ideas on things!

So the definites:
    Mockingbird
    7-String
    Multiscale (25.5"-27.8", Perpendicular fret at 9th)
    Fijian Mahogany Body
    Semi-Hollow (ala Thinline Tele)
    Headstock shape based off: http://www.rondomusic.com/HAWKER727tribalblue2.html

The probables:
    Carved top
    QLD Maple Neck (I think I might prefer Rock Maple, but unsure)
    Rosewood Fretboard (would prefer Ebony, but I'm not 100% sure that's on the table)

The best case scenario additions:
    Piezo + Midi Bridge (with the Piezo being more of a priority, if I can't get both)
    Locking Tuners

A big thing that I'm not sure on is what I'm going to use for the top. One thing that was suggested when I dropped in was Figured Jarrah, which wasn't something I'd ever seen before, but after seeing a piece in the flesh and looking up a couple of pictures, I think it would be really cool, and also fairly unique (as if a semi-multi-7-mockingbird isn't already...) Note this mockup is Flamed Maple, but filtered. I'll link an actual guitar with the stuff below that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mockup - Jarrah 7 (Custom).png 
Views:	377 
Size:	554.5 KB 
ID:	9551
    http://news.baileyguitars.co.uk/inde...ne-uke-jarrah/

Alternatively, Flamed Maple, which I would stain purple (Or quilted, either would be cool)

Name:	Mockup - Purple Flame (Custom).png 
Views:	387 
Size:	532.2 KB 
ID:	9552

Or, more left field: Carbon Fiber (Note the weave would be much smaller in comparison to the overall guitar, zooming out gives probably a better idea):

Name:	Mockup - CF (Custom).png 
Views:	360 
Size:	669.3 KB 
ID:	9553

Now that's all very dependant on what I can get, and prices and stuff. I'm also open to hear of any other cool woods that I could use. Flamed Eucalypt is one (http://www.paramountguitars.net/gtr/FranklinMJeiU.htm) and Tasmanian Myrtle (http://www.distinctivetimbers.com.au...igerboards.JPG) but the Myrtle seems very hit or miss, I'd really want to see the actual piece before making the dive with that one. But yea if anyone has any cool suggestions, I'm all ears to that And if anyone does have anything else to suggest, feel free! I'm super keen to discuss ideas.
    Last edited by B'Lark; 01-04-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Lesson Number 1!!

So my course started today, there was a fair bit of discussion and clarification on some of the details of the build, most of which was in the first thread so I won't bother going over that so much here.

Before I started, I got myself an outline of the body to use, this one's slightly larger on all sides than a standard 6-string 'Bird, but it accomodates my planned neck size correctly, and since I'm going to be chambering the body I'm not worried about the extra bit of weight.

Name:	20160401_104354 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	10062

Another fun part, the body will be a one piece mahogany body. Now the piece I'm using isn't off this slab, but I suspect they used to be similar sizes, and I thought you might all appreciate seeing how FREAKING HUGE this slab is. Because I was blown the frig away.

Name:	20160401_130634 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	10063

So in terms of actual physical progress today, we did up the scarf join for the headstock. I had my pick of a few pieces of QLD Maple to use (also, one piece neck too) and opted for the one I did because it had a nice shift in colours and grain across the piece. The second picture is the best I have showing this, it captures the grain difference, but doesn't capture the colour difference well still.

So this was all a fairly simple process today. Level the slab off to make sure it's all even, cut off part of the slab at an angle, plane and sand it all down to make sure it all goes together neatly, glue it back up.

Name:	20160401_104856 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	10064

Name:	20160401_115051 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	313.3 KB 
ID:	10065

Name:	20160401_130458 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	10066

And all clamped and glued.

I'm still in the process of deciding on the wood for the top. Flamed Eucalypt, Flamed Blackwood, Flamed Redwood, some form of Myrtle and Maple are still in the pool for options. I'm having a deeper look tonight to see if I find something online that I am interested in (there is some Walnut and Douglas Fir pieces that I have an eye on), but Matt is also going to be looking around for some wood tomorrow too, so I'll see what he finds too.

My absolute DREAM case is that he finds a piece of nicely figured Purpleheart, but that is a) unlikely because it's rare as it is and b) would probably require me to sell my spleen in order to afford it. But I could be willing to sell some organs if there is one.

Not relevant to the build at all though: Is it possible to change the thread's title? And how would I do it if so....

Edit: If I need an admin to do it for me, could they change it to "Non PBG Build. Multiscale, Semi-Hollow, Carved Top Mockingbird" pleeeease
    Last edited by B'Lark; 01-04-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Oh man! You are gonna make me so jealous as you progress through this build...

For me personally, I would either go with the figured jarrah for the unique factor, or a nicely quilted maple for the wow factor (purple would be killer - I do love me a purple guitar). But that said, all of your options sound awesome, and I'm sure the guitar will look fan-flippin'-tastic no matter what you opt for.

I'm really keen to see this build progress (if you can't tell I love Mockingbirds), so make you keep us updated with everything!
    "Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded"
    - Jimi Hendrix

My Builds:
    #1: Non-PBG SG - "Purple Flame" (Getting Wired)
    #2: PBG MB-1 - "The Wasp" (Getting Wired)
    #3: PBG IB-1 - "V-Bay at Noon" (90% Done)
    #4: PBG SG-1F - (Getting Cleared)

My Future Builds:
    PBG ES-1G Custom - "Dave Grohl DG-335 Tribute"

Find me on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/brodie.west.9

Overlord of Music
    Followed. Can't wait to see some more!
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Haha, yea I've noticed you like the Mockingbirds West. When I was discussing the top wood today, we realised that we wouldn't get a piece of Jarrah big enough for a carved top, so unfortunately that's out. But the Purple stain is still definitely in the possibilities (but probably Eucalyptus instead of Maple, they will end up quite similar), and Redwood's probably the next in line in terms of a natural top. Still the Purpleheart dream remains alive till the morning.

But yea will keep you all posted. This is a weekly course, so updates will be very consistent. I will do my best to not leave anything major out, and also if there's any other questions about anything feel free to fire away with that. Thanks for the support guys

awesome project B'lark, liking the progress so far ! Keep up the good work
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

A friend of mine owns the Brisbane franchise of the 'Australian Guitar Making School'.

Its just that little bit too far away for me to take advantage of his great workshop.

I'm thinking of doing a scratch build one day, but the thought of making a neck is a reality check, so I'll be following this one closely too.

Quote Originally Posted by B'Lark View Post

Thats almost identical to the headstock I designed for my build, but only 6 holes. I THOUGHT I'd come up with a unique design, an amalgam of Maton, PRS and Ovation, but there ya go...
    Last edited by Muzza; 02-04-2016 at 11:38 AM.
    first build PRS-1TS in progress...
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=4937

second build PRS-1Q in progress...
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=4956

Banned
    I was going to use my Junior 2300 with som subtle changes as a Template for my next build, thought i was being original haha

Name:	ag.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	10087

Yea the neck was a big reason that I wanted to take a course for it. That and the routing were things that I would have been super unsure with. As well as just not having some of the bigger tools to make things easier.

Haha, well there is only so much you can do with a headstock if you want to keep it fairly traditional. There's so many companies that make slight variations you'll usually end up with something very similar to someone else, even if you don't intend it. At least you can claim you made yours on your own rather than blatantly taking it though

I also got confirmation this afternoon that I will be getting Figured Jarrah for the top. Don't have any pictures today, but that will be one of the first things I look at next Friday!
    Last edited by B'Lark; 02-04-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast