Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Baritones

Quote Originally Posted by tonyw View Post
    I have my Baritone build, and happy with it, but having said that what a sensational sound these instruments are.

My preference would be for a 30" scale, i find my 28-5/8" scale just a little sloppy tuned down an octave, you can tune a 30" down without the slack. , i would like the Fender Bass VI style without the trem.

Thanks in advance

Attachment 9462
    That is a pic of my long lost lover, a Fender VI Series 2 as indicated by the bass strangle switch ( furthest from the neck of the four switches ) probably late 1965.

Nurse I need my medication now please

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    We've had many enquiries for Baritone scale kits and conversion necks. As regulars will know, we have asked the factory many times and they have always said they can't do them. I assume this is because their routing templates/machines are not set up for this length.

However, I know my contact quite well after all these years, and I think we can turn them around if we can show them there is a market for this scale length.

So... I am hoping this thread can be a "catch all" for your "Baritone Wish List"

1. Baritone scale lengths seem to vary:

[COLOR=#252525][FONT=sans-serif]"The scale lengths of various baritone designs range from 27" to 30.5", and the string gauges range from the normal .012 - .054" set to sets as thick as .017 - .095"."

What scale length do you prefer? Or do you want this to be completely customisable? Bear in mind Custom Orders add about $150 to the list price of a kit. If we can agree on a Baritone scale length, then we can keep the cost down by ordering in bulk and shipping by sea freight.
    30" scale for me!

2. What kits would you like see offered as Baritone scale?
    FM-1M, the FS-1G, and the TLD-1TP

3. Would you be interested in a Baritone neck conversion (neck only)? If so, what kit (or brand of guitar) would you like to fit one to?
    FM-1M, the FS-1G, and the TLD-1TP!
    other than that, I'd live to retrofit a jazzmaster with a 30" neck too!

4. Do you want the necks with Rosewood or Maple fretboards, and with or without inlays?
    prefer rosewood with block inlays, but dots are ok too

5. Do you want pre-shaped headstocks or "paddle" style ST/TL and LP headstocks?
    pre-shaped

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    That is a pic of my long lost lover, a Fender VI Series 2 as indicated by the bass strangle switch ( furthest from the neck of the four switches ) probably late 1965.

Nurse I need my medication now please
    Gen2 was my fav as well, feel in love with the Baritone when i saw Jack Bruce with one.

I built myself one because i had been playing 2 piece with a drummer for so long i was wanting to add some extra depth.

After doing some research I'd pretty happy with any body and a neck that could be tuned to the standard E tuning, I'd prefer a tremlo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    After doing some research I'd pretty happy with any body and a neck that could be tuned to the standard E tuning, I'd prefer a tremlo
    Curious as to why you would tune a baritone to standard E?

because I haven't had enough coffee yet. Late night, early morning. Ignore me
    Last edited by Dedman; 15-03-2016 at 08:20 AM.

7. Liked by: dingobass

I know the feeling oh so well....

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Banned
    I can relate to that..

It's the Ghost of Lemmy's fault. I started reading 'White Line Fever" and couldn't put it down

**UPDATE**

Ok, the factory will do these for us @ 30".

I will order a few kits and some separate necks for delivery around July.

I'd prefer to limit the kits to two models at this stage and the TLA-1 and JMA-1 (both Ash) seem the most popular candidates. Other kits can be custom ordered or added later if there's demand.

I'm afraid they don't have access to the Bass VI shape, I have already asked.

So, apart from the scale (30"), do other specs need to change? Can they still use the standard nut width (42mm) and C Profile? Bear in mind if we want to change this, it will significantly increase the cost.

I will order with blank paddle headstocks with no tuner holes drilled.

We'll need to decide on inlays, if any. Probably be easier with dots, as block inlays can be installed if the customer prefers blocks. You can't do blocks to dots though.

Any other specs we need to give them?
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast