Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: ES4-B 1st Build

Hi Rich, kit looks great other than the bridge hole in the wrong position. I'd seriously think about plugging the 3 holes and looks at a trapeze bridge possibly
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

I hadn't considered that... but will now. I don't think I could do that in a way that you wouldn't see the three holes, unless I finish with an opaque color and I don't really want to do that... Still that would take the worry out that the bridge might pull out...

I agree with Woks. After having my 3point bridge fail for the last time I've had to opt for a hipshot bridge which was quite expensive. There's quite a bit of damage to my finish around the bridge area because of all the stuff ups with the bushings coming out. If I could have my time back with this bass I would've plugged the holes from the get go and opted for a trapeze bridge. I think this kit would be better off not even offering the 3point bridge because it's useless from my experience. Go the the trapeze fender3x and save yourself the hassle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. How had the hipshot worked out? Does it install OK on th curved surface of an archtop?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Definitely hear you about the three point pulling out. Maybe this was a sign that I should lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    Thanks for the advice. How had the hipshot worked out? Does it install OK on th curved surface of an archtop?

Haven't received the hipshot yet. It's still in transit from the states. Apparently they install well on the arch top from what I've read. May need a couple of washers as spacers. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes!

Thanks. Good luck with it.

You could look at gluing a piece of timber next to the existing block, then re drill with the bench drill.
    Personally, I would tie a length of string to the 3point hunk of junk and swing it violently around your head then launch it onto your least favourite neighbours roof.
    Then buy a Babicz 3point Full Contact replacement.
    Babicz beats anything on the market, especially that slipshod oops hipshot crap.
    Dont get me started on slipshod, it would have to be the most expensive fishing sinker I have ever bought.
    Crappily made, badly finished and stupidly expensive for the piece of shite you end up with.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Thanks, DB. I am coming to the same conclusion about the 3-point that comes with the kit. And there is this one neighbor I don't like....

I thought about laminating a block onto the existing one, but I can't get to it from the f-hole, and don't want to have to open a hole somewhere else. Can't get to it from the pickup cavities like on some ES's. This one is solid wood under the pickups.

Tell me though, DB, it looks like the Babicz has a flat mounting plate that, that uses the same screws (or ferrules?) as the Gibsonoid 3-point. since the top of this beast is not flat, I guess I would have build a platform for it to sit in?

Which leads to a 2nd question: If I have to go to all the trouble of making a flat platform for the bridge to sit on, why not just go "whole hog" and get a bridge with 4-7 screws that will for sure stay in place, and will grab the wood in the center as well as on the sides?

I like the G&L because it would cover all the holes and is the best bridge I have ever enountered...but even an ordinary stamped fender bridge looks like it would hold better. Would that be better? I am just nervous that I won't have enough wood for even the Babicz to grab onto, at least on the south side of bridge. I can plug the hole, but there is still only going to be about 3mm of wood between the ferrule and the inside cavity of the bass at the thinnest place.

Pretty sure there is a conversion plate available for the Babicz that lets you mount on an archtop..
    Have a look at their interweb page.
    www.fullcontacthardware.com

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast