Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: ES4-B 1st Build

Excellent. What value caps did you use on the tone pots, and is the neck tone cap wired as per the diagram to the neck volume lug not direct to ground?
    Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    Excellent. What value caps did you use on the tone pots, and is the neck tone cap wired as per the diagram to the neck volume lug not direct to ground?
    It's wired like in the chart, so the bridge cap is wired to ground and the neck cap is wired to the neck volume lug.

Volume pots are 100K, Tone are 1M.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I asked about the cap values as most of the modern Dano single coil circuits seem to have a 0.01uF tone cap for the bridge and 0.047uF cap for the neck. But, as you're wiring a bass, you may want to step it up and run a 0.047uF for the bridge and up to 0.1uF for the neck.

It's the sort of thing you can play around with on your one string tester and see which values give you the level of control/tone you want before installing your harness,
    Scott.

Oh! Yes those were the cap values I used. Will give the values you suggest a shot. Thanks!

I'd try 0.022uF or 0.047uF for the bridge and 0.068uF or 0.1uF for the neck.

If you put a 0.047uF cap (or any value) on clip leads and attach it in parallel with a cap already soldered in place it will effectively sum their values to give you an idea of how it will sound. So, clipping a 047 in parallel with your existing 0.01 (clip on each leg) will give you a total 0.057uF value, and across the neck's existing 047 will give you ~0.1uF.

May save you a bit of de-soldering/soldering.
    Scott.

Thanks that's super helpful.

I'd try 0.022uF or 0.047uF for the bridge and 0.068uF or 0.1uF for the neck.

If you put a 0.047uF cap (or any value) on clip leads and attach it in parallel with a cap already soldered in place it will effectively sum their values to give you an idea of how it will sound. So, clipping a 047 in parallel with your existing 0.01 (clip on each leg) will give you a total 0.057uF value, and across the neck's existing 047 will give you ~0.1uF.

May save you a bit of de-soldering/soldering.
    Wow! Were you ever right! I attached a .047 cap with clips in both positions in parallel and it made a huge difference. That's a really big help that took very little extra effort. Thank you!! Just the right amount of treble roll off.

So now the bridge has .057, because I just soldered in a .047 in parallel with the .01. That was not practical with the other cap, mostly because it's a bit cramped, so I put in a .1 cap. Tried it again withe the *final* soldered in caps. Sounds great.

I am glad that I built the test bed. But mostly, though, thank you WeirdBits for the great suggestions!
    Last edited by fender3x; 22-07-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Happy to help.
    Scott.

Happy to help.
    Hope you're still willing. I had everything working. It was working on the template. I even upped the value of the bridge cap (both are now at .1) and it all sounded pretty good. took it off the template, and tried it again. Sounded good.

Then I spent about two hours putting it in the bass. When I finally had it all in. Nothing. It has a nasty buzz, but absolutely no sound from the pickups. I pulled out the harness and found a broken connection. I fixed it, but that did not seem to make any difference.

Really frustrating. Every time I think I'm getting close...

So, I have given up for the evening. No idea why the harness is not working. If it were not so hard to source the pots, I'd be tempted to just build a new one rather than fix this one. I thought it might be a lifted ground, or something grounding out, but if it is, I have not been able to find it. Argh! Any thoughts about where I should look?

Thanks in advance.

OK, I found the problem. one of my connections broke when I put the pots in the guitar. Calling it a night anyway. Stay tuned to find out whether I am capable of re-soldering the ground and getting the harness gently enough into the cavity so that I don't break anything on the way in...

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast