Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The FrankenWashie is dead....

The FrankenWashie is dead....

There were no Mobs, no pitchforks and torches, just a slow decline ending in a total evisceration.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-03-04 18.34.05.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	9242
    He had already lost his head and neck, it remained only to finish the job.

Name:	2016-03-04 19.27.23.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	9243
    The grim sight of the final dismemberment....Vale FrankenWashie, no one understood you with your mismatched Alnico 2 single coils as bridge and neck, much less your Alnico HB middle, or your triple mini switch pickup selectors but you were my creation and my friend for many a year of solitude. Now you are gone and already I miss you.

Name:	2016-03-04 18.38.35.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	383.4 KB 
ID:	9244Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-03-04 18.38.39.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	415.2 KB 
ID:	9245

But I vow the FrankenWashie will not end in a sorry pile of scraps. Much knowledge i have gained since he was built and yet more skills and tooling have I acquired.

HE SHALL LIVE AGAIN.......(insert maniacal laughter and stock footage of forbidding alpine castle)

to be continued

Tough love with that....live and learn.

To make you feel better , watch this YouTube video of classic Epic stuff up's made by a Pro guitar builder...... you will laugh !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyDs7Cm1628

Yeah, youthful exuberance and all that. I'd forgotten roughness and hurried nature of the original build, all that I worried about was getting noise out of it and trying to make it look cool. Still I have a plan to move forward with it and correct the shortcuts and shortcomings of my original work.

Banned
    I am doing something similar with a strat i put together, but i am just ripping out the very expensive pickups to flog on ebay, then putting my own in.

So what do you reckon needs to be done to resurrect the FrankenWashie?, I like the look of the body, nice piece wood.

@DrNomis_44 the plan is to:
    -take a deep rout 50mm wide either side of the center line and about 20mm deep.
    -insert a contrasting block of a dark toned Aussie Native timber (the original body is recycled NZ Matai,PROMNOPITYS TAXIFOLIA) I kind of like the idea that the resurrected FrankenWashie will have a NZ Native heart and aspects of Australia.
    -establish the center line and rout the neck pocket this was done pretty poorly first time out, I had to shim the neck to get it to sit on the center line. I'll be looking to get this spot on this time.
    - Rout out and tidy the control cavities and rough through and insert fill blocks for the output jack and the three miniswitch holes. If I can't get a hold of the Matai here or get the remnants of the body cut over from NZ this may also need to be done in the same Aussie native timber as the center fill.
    - redress the neck and fill a cut and screw holes from the rear mounted locking nut, resand, refret and finish it in a clear or tint coat
    -I haven't yet decided if I will rescue pickups or get some newbies, but I am going to revise the configuration to sc at neck and middle and HB as bridge.
    -I need to decide how to treat the input jack as I can't go in from the edge given how thin I originally profiled it. The whole body is only 35mm deep at its thickest point

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    @DrNomis_44 the plan is to:
    -take a deep rout 50mm wide either side of the center line and about 20mm deep.
    -insert a contrasting block of a dark toned Aussie Native timber (the original body is recycled NZ Matai,PROMNOPITYS TAXIFOLIA) I kind of like the idea that the resurrected FrankenWashie will have a NZ Native heart and aspects of Australia.
    -establish the center line and rout the neck pocket this was done pretty poorly first time out, I had to shim the neck to get it to sit on the center line. I'll be looking to get this spot on this time.
    - Rout out and tidy the control cavities and rough through and insert fill blocks for the output jack and the three miniswitch holes. If I can't get a hold of the Matai here or get the remnants of the body cut over from NZ this may also need to be done in the same Aussie native timber as the center fill.
    - redress the neck and fill a cut and screw holes from the rear mounted locking nut, resand, refret and finish it in a clear or tint coat
    -I haven't yet decided if I will rescue pickups or get some newbies, but I am going to revise the configuration to sc at neck and middle and HB as bridge.
    -I need to decide how to treat the input jack as I can't go in from the edge given how thin I originally profiled it. The whole body is only 35mm deep at its thickest point

Sounds cool, with regards to the output jack, maybe you could try using the type of jack socket as used in Ibanez's S series guitars, the threaded section on them is much longer than the standard 6.35mm jack sockets used in fender Strats.

Thanks Doc, I'll look those up.

like these, plenty on fleabay

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    like these, plenty on fleabay

Yep, that's the one.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast